Broody Hen HELP!!!

IN those to other eggs we moved them but so no movement. not really sure what i am looking for . this is all new for my husband and I . i read that toward the end you can hear chirping sometimes is that true. I smelled the eggs and there was no smell. i don't want to discard them if they are alive but 24 days after being nested is that to long or do they hatch anytime after 21 days?

You can only hear chirping if they have internally piped. If there isn't any smell then that means they aren't rotten...yet.... Sometimes they hatch late, How large is the air cell? Is it dipped on one side? (the air cell is the fat end of the egg)

Thanks for your help. I'm just a nervous mother. All my hens so far are hand raised so i get worried about them. they are my babies. I have a baby frizzle right now that is 4 weeks that i am praying is a hen. she is being hand raised and is already spoiled. All my girls are spoiled and i feel helpless when i don't now what to do to make them feel better. you gave me so ideas. i'm going to get right to work on CL. thanks again for your help. I 'll let you know how it turns out. :)

I guess i can look or see if any breeders have fertilized eggs that want to give up for a broody chicken. i haven't thought of that. chicks that are a day or two old. i can put an add on tonight. and see what i can some up with. where i live its hard to find chicks and get read of the roosters. I'm not in an area where there is alot of farm land. in my town we can have hens only no roosters. you can get fined for having roosters it stupid but the houses are so close together..
I would not start her over again with fertile eggs, as she has been sitting already for 5 weeks. I do not have much experience with broodies, but I would be worried. AmericanMom...thoughts?

They can hatch later...but I only give 7 days past 21 to hatch...you should hear pecking or chirping by then if it is alive. If you can not get a chick, you may need to keep her out of the nest, clean area with no nesting materials available for her to use

I broke my broody once by placing her in a hanging wire cage with no hay under her...The cool air broke her pretty quick, like over night...although with silkies I have heard they are broody 11/12 months
big_smile.png

J/K but with some breeds they just seem to want to hatch...anything...all the time...

I would not start her over again with fertile eggs, as she has been sitting already for 5 weeks. I do not have much experience with broodies, but I would be worried. AmericanMom...thoughts?

No, I agree, I wouldn't start her over either... Post your ad, but if you don't have a hit within the next few days and there is no progress in the eggs I would break her...She will being a broody want to brood again so you will have to stay on top of her, maybe let her try again in a few months

Thanks for your help. I'm just a nervous mother. All my hens so far are hand raised so i get worried about them. they are my babies. I have a baby frizzle right now that is 4 weeks that i am praying is a hen. she is being hand raised and is already spoiled. All my girls are spoiled and i feel helpless when i don't now what to do to make them feel better. you gave me so ideas. i'm going to get right to work on CL. thanks again for your help. I 'll let you know how it turns out. :)

BTW... on the off chance you do get a hit on chicks and she does hatch the eggs if done correctly she will accept the newbies...My broody did 3 days after hers hatched ... Good luck and keep us informed how it works out...A good broody is worth her weight in gold MHO

I broke my broody once by placing her in a hanging wire cage with no hay under her...The cool air broke her pretty quick, like over night...although with silkies I have heard they are broody 11/12 months
big_smile.png

J/K but with some breeds they just seem to want to hatch...anything...all the time...
LOL...VERY true! I have a Bantam Cochin and she is VERY determined when she goes broody! We finally decided to let her hatch some babies :)

Its kind of just up at the top of the egg not dipped just straight across then all formed underneath. the other egg is completely formed no air pocket at all and it is heavier.
The one with no air pocket has me worried, baby might have died before piping, the one with the tiny air cell may have been a quitter early... Like I said, I would give it atleast another day or two and see what happens..

Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom