Broody hen in winter, what to do?

wowmanacat

Songster
Apr 1, 2011
Oak Grove AR
My broody hen just went broody again and I am thinking of letting her have some eggs to sit on, but with it turning to winter what to do with the chicks and her after they hatch. I would be bring her in to the house for the broody time to keep the eggs away from my other hens. My big question is will the babies do ok in the lower temps that we have here in the winter with there momma. I just put her out side in my garage last time in the summer but what to do this time? Any help.

My broody hen just went broody again and I am thinking of letting her have some eggs to sit on, but with it turning to winter what to do with the chicks and her after they hatch. I would be bring her in to the house for the broody time to keep the eggs away from my other hens. My big question is will the babies do ok in the lower temps that we have here in the winter with there momma. I just put her out side in my garage last time in the summer but what to do this time? Any help.

Personally, I would not try it in the winter time. I am sure it can be done, but it will be a lot more effort on your part then in the spring.

That is what I am thinking but then the extra work is something I would enjoy. She is just going sit there anyways in a nest for the next few weeks and she would not be laying anyways for this is her second year.

Well I am going to bring my broody hen into the house so she can sit on the eggs. I am going to give 10 to start and then add any green that I get over the next day or so. after they hatch I will put them in the coop with all the rest like I did last time. She is a great mother hen that is why I let her hatch for me.

Well I am going to bring my broody hen into the house so she can sit on the eggs. I am going to give 10 to start and then add any green that I get over the next day or so. after they hatch I will put them in the coop with all the rest like I did last time. She is a great mother hen that is why I let her hatch for me.

A good hen that knows how to care for her chicks can work miracles. Good luck!

Of all my hens that go broody she is the only one I never try to break since she is such a great mother hen. She is in her cage in the entryway right now on 11 eggs. I might add a few more if my green egg layer lays any more in the next two days

I have a hen that went broody 3-4 days ago as well. Of course, we are located in northwestern Wisconsin and the day she decided to sit it was only 9 degrees! My husband had fed and watered the chickens for a few days as I was working a lot and mentioned on the third day, "When you go out there try and get those eggs from the red hen. I tried and she pecked me so I left her." I'm like, "What? How long has she been sitting on them for?" He says, "Uhhhh, 2 or 3 days? IDK" So of course they all have little babies started and I'm not taking them away now. So we shall see! She has hatched them in the past and I just love the chicks. If we don't need them I'll just give them away, letting her hatch certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Yea that is true, I have mine in the house to keep an eye on her and so the chicks don't take a 3 ft. Drop once they get to moving. Still not 100% what I am going to do with them later.

im letting my broody hen go with 7 Buff Orp Australorp mix eggs. They are due Dec.15. Of course I am in Central Texas and today it was aroud 80 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom