Broody hen...need help

fishinchicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
SWVA
i just moved my broody Sizzle hen out of the coop with her eggs and all the ones she stole along the way. She's got a bunch!!!! She covers them all tho. Anyway, I was thinking about trying to candle them tonight or tomorrow night, just to see if they are progressing (10 days in). Will this move and then candleing stress her too much? Should I wait? I had to move her because the other girls were pecking her and pulling out some of her wing feathers. I figured that I would just let her stay with whatever babies she hatches in the brooder. Advice from the experts, please
big_smile.png

If she settled in and on eggs she's all good--I have candeled many times with broody hens-luckily I have all my fingers still! My hens are used to me grabbing eggs and such so they dont mind as long as I place them back!!! Only one broody hen scares me-to the point where a rotten egg was left under her and blew up!---Id rather deal with that stentch than mess with her!!!! As long as she's covering all eggs they should be good but I wouldnt expect ( IMO) a 100% hatch due to the outside eggs not getting enough heat at all times like the ones directly under her-Id be happy with 5-6/10 :) Good luck

If she's a sweet hen who loves you, then it probably wouldn't hurt if you took one or two out and candled them for fun. But if she's a little wild, then it's best to leave her be and wait.

As long as she has the room for all the eggs, it won't hurt if one or two isn't fertile.

You can candle them if you want to. I gently put my fingers around her neck then hold that palm against her head, then reach under her with the other hand. She only wants to peck the hand reaching under her. Really not hard to do. You can also wear an insulated glove.

If she is a good mama you can let her and the chicks back with the flock when they are up and around after a couple of days. She will protect them. Saves housing them separately for 4 months so you can integrate them full size. My broody hatched chicks always grow up in the flock.

i candled 4-5 of the eggs and 3 were on their way...good veining and eye spots. I decided to quit after that and just let her be. i hope to get a few at least.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom