Broody Hen not eating?

Whirlwind

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Tuttle, Oklahoma
I have a boody hen.My first. Got her some fertile eggs 4 days ago. I havent seen her get up once. Maybe she is getting up when I am not around? Not a single sign of poo? Not much food or water gone? She will get up when she is hungary, I hope ,the Storeys Guide says she will? All ideas and comments are welcome and appriciated. Thanks everyone is such a great help

PS. My name is Cindy and I am a Chicken Addict.

Broody hens go into a state that is almost like hibernation when they are sitting on eggs. It has to do with hormones. Usually a hen will only leave th nest once a day for a couple minutes to eat/drink and go to the bathroom. She propably does this when you are not there, only when she feels it is safe for her to leave her eggs. Hens are naturally equiped to go without their normal amount of food while sitting. They will still eat a bit here and there but they will loose weight - its natural. Don't worry
smile.png

Hi Cindy- Welcome to the group of Enablers!
cool.png

Not eating, drinking, pooping or getting up is all part of hatching a brood.
The best thing to do for her is give her her own space (like a dog crate or rabbit hutch) so she can sit quietly and not feel threatned. Chances of her getting up to eat and drink are greater if she's by herself. I used two little tupperware cups and put them next to my broody with food and water so she could drink and eat from her nest.
And broody poop.... Be prepared for a treat.
th.gif
They hold it in for several days so it is usually BIG and STINKY.

Thanks. I did put her in her own pen. Actually a large live trap. Which ironically she was supposed to be bait for. My crazy husband thought he could get away with that after I caught chicken fever. He has never used a chicken for live bait. And never will. Whew!!!

Thanks for the advice on the small bowls I will do that. I worry. I am sure she will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom