Fussy chicken who’s broody- if I move her will it break her from broodiness?

Apr 2, 2023
Hiya, so I have a broody chicken and she is very fussy when it comes to laying and if I disturb her ‘laying spot’ then she will find somewhere else. She is broody atm and I want to move her from her hutch because she I living with 3 boys (breeding plan gone wrong) and there are obvious signs of foxes sniffing around and I am worried she might get eaten. Do they usually mind if they get moved into a separate cage or do they tend not to worry?
Thanks!

I think that it's better that she's safe, even if she doesn't want to brood anymore. I think that she might still want to brood, but you know her best. Good luck.

You never know what will actually happen. If a broody hen is truly a committed broody they can usually be moved. If she has just started being broody she may not yet be committed. If they are not committed it is a lot easier to break them by trying to move her. Everything in life has its risks. You are the one that has to assess her risk from a fox or anything else. Are those boys at risk from the fox?

disturb her ‘laying spot’ then she will find somewhere else.
If you move her I suggest you build a cage with a nest and room for food and water. Lock her in that cage so she cannot get out. Plan on her being there until the eggs hatch. Do not give her the option to go back to the old nest.

Since she has gone broody once (if she is truly broody) the odds are she will again. That might be later this year or next year. Again you never now what will actually happen but the odds of her going broody again are pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom