Will allowing my broody hen to hatch out eggs discourage her from being broody in the future?

Pics
That's a funny and sweet picture. Is Ursula still separate from the main flock? Does she have a place to roost at night? If not (and I'm just guessing here) she may be more reluctant to let them go as they are her flock now. Anyway, I agree, I think she will be fine after they are taken away, and will happy to rejoin the flock again.

As a side note, when my ultra dedicated broody raised slow broilers, she had mostly weaned them by butcher date. But, I did leave her with a couple of the smaller pullets to "console" her although it was probably completely unnecessary. I ended up not butchering the smallest of those pullets and she went on live for several years. She was great layer and sweet hen. I still have a few of her children and grandchildren in my flock.

Would you look who showed up at my back door just a couple hours after I posted this morning! 😂 It seems she flew over the 4 foot fence and is officially done being a mom.

She did such a good job and I'm proud of her for raising the chicks for 8 whole weeks.
signal-2023-11-12-17-46-18-735.jpg

That's a funny and sweet picture. Is Ursula still separate from the main flock? Does she have a place to roost at night? If not (and I'm just guessing here) she may be more reluctant to let them go as they are her flock now. Anyway, I agree, I think she will be fine after they are taken away, and will happy to rejoin the flock again.

As a side note, when my ultra dedicated broody raised slow broilers, she had mostly weaned them by butcher date. But, I did leave her with a couple of the smaller pullets to "console" her although it was probably completely unnecessary. I ended up not butchering the smallest of those pullets and she went on live for several years. She was great layer and sweet hen. I still have a few of her children and grandchildren in my flock.
She was separate from the flock with her babies in a fenced off area, but see the above update lol. She is now out of there.

That's awesome about the females you let your hen keep! I was actually considering doing that with the one female we have (6/7 Rangers are male), but I guess now that Ursula is done I will just process as planned.
Adding, what a great life those meat chicks had. To be raised in fresh air by a mama hen. The polar opposite of a broiler house. Kudos to you and Ursula.
Thanks so much! This is why we do it. :)

A lot of people ask me, "How can you raise, slaughter, and eat your own meat chickens when you love chickens so much?" To them, I say that I do it because I love chickens so much. I want to eat my dinner knowing it was raised humanely, had joy in its life, and had a very quick ending to its life. I feel good knowing my meat chickens got to live like real chickens. I'm sure many others on the BYC meat birds thread feel the same.

A lot of people ask me, "How can you raise, slaughter, and eat your own meat chickens when you love chickens so much?" To them, I say that I do it because I love chickens so much. I want to eat my dinner knowing it was raised humanely, had joy in its life, and had a very quick ending to its life. I feel good knowing my meat chickens got to live like real chickens. I'm sure many others on the BYC meat birds thread feel the same.
+1000.

Back
Top Bottom