Broody Hen Not Leaving Nest

It's been a few days almost a week now I think. I'm pretty sure all the eggs she's sitting on aren't gonna hatch so I was planning on just replacing all of them. Also if I replaced more than she started with would that be a problem?
No, she will be happier with More----not to many-----if she is a average size hen about a dozen is a good number----if her nest is not bowl shaped some---lift her out---I hold mine under my arm and fix her nest so the eggs will not roll out---then place her back on her new eggs. Good Luck

No, she will be happier with More----not to many-----if she is a average size hen about a dozen is a good number----if her nest is not bowl shaped some---lift her out---I hold mine under my arm and fix her nest so the eggs will not roll out---then place her back on her new eggs. Good Luck
Thank you so much for all your help!

I ended up getting 12 eggs and they've all been placed so I guess we'll see how it goes. She isn't sitting on them all completely but I did have to move her so we'll check tomorrow to see if she's moved. Hopefully all goes well!

Four eggs is not worth the ware-and-tare on the brood hen's backside. Most hens can adequately cover anywhere from one dozen (12) to a dozen to a dozen and a half (18) eggs. The joshing in the nest helps all eggs to hatch better because of the peeping and calling coming from the other eggs. Also say 15 eggs create a heat sink that helps all the eggs stay warmer and maintain a better relative humidity.

Broodies are very sneaky. She is almost definitely sneaking out and eating/drinking. Have had many broodies, never had one starve.

Check for the big stinky broody poops, you'll see some around the coop if you check frequently enough (before it gets kicked around into the shavings). They are the biggest, foulest chicken poops you will ever see. This will be your proof she is off the nest and eating/drinking/pooping.

I have a bloody hen as well, but I don't have any hatching eggs, I just have 4 hens. I havent seen her leave the nest in probably 5 days, but like others, i domt watch her 24/7, so im certain she leaves. Should I just leave her be and co sider this part of her personality?

I have a bloody hen as well, but I don't have any hatching eggs, I just have 4 hens. I havent seen her leave the nest in probably 5 days, but like others, i domt watch her 24/7, so im certain she leaves. Should I just leave her be and co sider this part of her personality?
If you are not going to SET her---then its best to break her----setting "can" effect some hens health. Only takes 3 days to break her if you get the broody breaker cage set-up properly.

Four eggs is not worth the ware-and-tare on the brood hen's backside. Most hens can adequately cover anywhere from one dozen (12) to a dozen to a dozen and a half (18) eggs. The joshing in the nest helps all eggs to hatch better because of the peeping and calling coming from the other eggs. Also say 15 eggs create a heat sink that helps all the eggs stay warmer and maintain a better relative humidity.
Well I'm glad I got 12 then! lol

Back
Top Bottom