Broody hen or brooder

angela0408

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Canada
Im just wondering what the best course of action is. I have broody hens sitting on eggs and some in the incubator, all hatching around the same time Should I put all of the chicks in a pen together, or let the hen keep the chicks. It’s much easier with food and chick safety to put them in the brooder box and then the hen can be free to roam around. But will this upset the hen too much losing her chicks. What kind of memory do they have? She’s a lovely sweet hen. I have 40 other chickens both layers and some bantams.

Separate her into a private Broody pen with the eggs . I do it all the time and after the Chicks are up and running I introduce back into my flock.
They’re about 2 days away from hatching. So once they hatch move her and the chicks in with the flock? What about chick start? Or did you mean just move the hen and not the chicks?

They’re about 2 days away from hatching. So once they hatch move her and the chicks in with the flock? What about chick start? Or did you mean just move the hen and not the chicks?
No....I never hatch with the flock and Momma is separated with eggs into a private Brooder and only once her Chicks are up and able to keep up with Momma do I put back into the flock. Depends on the behaviour of the other Birds too. Room and set up.
Others will and can kill Chicks. So I have waited 2 weeks before introducing Momma and babies back in..

There's nothing like watching a mother hen raise her young. Best part of keeping chickens IMO. Mine brood and raise with the flock, so from day one chicks are running around with adults. All I do is provide a nest on the ground with chick feed and water next to it; mom takes care of the rest.

I don't like mums upset.. if she isn't going to be allowed to raise some... as far as I'm concerned she also shouldn't be allowed to sacrifice her body sitting that whole time.

My broody's hatch and raise their chicks WITH the flock. I use Purina flock raiser for everyone. But a non medicated starter is also acceptable for the whole flock... with oyster shell on the side free choice for active layers.

If your hen is able to keep the number of chicks you have hatching warm.. sure give then all to her. If it's too many, maybe let her keep a few. Or if it suits your purpose take them all and raise yourself. Not my personal choice, but we all have different set ups, flock goals and dynamics, and thought processes.

I NEVER switch to layer... as I always have broody's, chicks, juveniles, roosters, molter's and so on and they don't need the excess calcium.

Good luck and happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Thanks! I feed everyone with 16% grower finisher with oyster shell on the side as. I will try that and see how it goes with her and the flock. She’s very gentle and pretty low on the pecking order. I can always move them later if it’s not working out. I may just do the combination of both.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom