Broody Hen Pool is runny

gar1967

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Northeastern Ontario
My almost 2 year old hen became broody after a rooster was introduced. They never mated, however; I had fertile Bantam eggs. She's been sitting on them since September 10th. She has no appetite nor is she drinking much water. I've notided her poop has been runny last couple of days, which I'm guessing is diarrhea or she's dehydrated. I've included photos. If anyone can suggest what I can do to help her it would be greatly appreciated.
DSCF4431 (2).JPG
DSCF4432 (2).JPG

It looks like she is panting. Was it hot when you took that picture? If it was, heat can make her have diarrhea. Broodies DON'T eat or drink much. Depending on the hen, she might only get off the nest to eat, drink, and poop every 3 to 5 day, and most will not eat except on their schedule, even if you offer them food near the nest. Runny poo can be from a lot of things. If she were mine I would not worry, just watch her. If the eggs are fertile, they should hatch October 1. If they don't within a few days after that date and you are worried, you can always take her off the nest and put her in a pen to break her broody cycle. There's not really a way to force her to eat or drink. You could add some poultry vitamins and probiotics to her drinking water, which will help her.

It looks like she is panting. Was it hot when you took that picture? If it was, heat can make her have diarrhea. Broodies DON'T eat or drink much. Depending on the hen, she might only get off the nest to eat, drink, and poop every 3 to 5 day, and most will not eat except on their schedule, even if you offer them food near the nest. Runny poo can be from a lot of things. If she were mine I would not worry, just watch her. If the eggs are fertile, they should hatch October 1. If they don't within a few days after that date and you are worried, you can always take her off the nest and put her in a pen to break her broody cycle. There's not really a way to force her to eat or drink. You could add some poultry vitamins and probiotics to her drinking water, which will help her.
She's not panting, she's actually squawking at me because I'm too close. It is not hot here in Northeastern Ontario around 13 degrees celsius.
I've read that Broody hens will go days without eating. I keep adding fresh snacks and she seems to be nibbling a bit every few days. Could the diarrhea be caused from her not eating enough? I will look into some vitamins for her.
Another question... I would like to put her in with the bantams eventually which I tried before but they beat her up, especially the rooster. He's gone now, but I worry my Bantam girls won't accept her? And will chicks be okay to add as well? Or should I keep my broody hen and chicks separate from the bantams. I have 4 bantams that are 6 months old. All good layers.
Thank you for your reply

I always keep our mother hens and chicks separate from the flock in their own pen for the first 4 to five weeks. Sometimes the adult chickens will pick on the mother and babies. It's warmer and safer for them in the chick pen and also better protection from predators. But, in nice weather, after the first week, I put them out in the chicken tractor outside during the day, so that they can see and socialize with the flock through the wire, and also get the fresh air and sunshine.

So, to socialize yours with the rest of the flock, you should do the same. If you have a way to partition them off from the flock so mama doesn't have to work so hard and be so stressed out trying to protect her young ones, but they can still socialize with the flock through the wire if they want to, that always works best.

I always keep our mother hens and chicks separate from the flock in their own pen for the first 4 to five weeks. Sometimes the adult chickens will pick on the mother and babies. It's warmer and safer for them in the chick pen and also better protection from predators. But, in nice weather, after the first week, I put them out in the chicken tractor outside during the day, so that they can see and socialize with the flock through the wire, and also get the fresh air and sunshine.

So, to socialize yours with the rest of the flock, you should do the same. If you have a way to partition them off from the flock so mama doesn't have to work so hard and be so stressed out trying to protect her young ones, but they can still socialize with the flock through the wire if they want to, that always works best.
Thank you chickmania. My broody girl is by herself for now. I have space in the coop where I can partition her off from the other gals. Should it block so each side can't see each other and get too roudy?

Back
Top Bottom