broody hen question

danaalex

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
i have eggs under a broody silkie. today should be hatch day, however i'm not expecting them to 100% hatch. it's been cold, she stayed off of them one night because she sat on someone else's eggs, etc. so, my question is, how many extra days should i wait? i was thinking three. i have chicks that i would like to stick with her regardless of these eggs hatching. so i don't want to wait too too long, but don't' want to jump the gun and then have her give up.

thanks!

i did candle them awhile ago. but, not since. i gave them a once over today while she was off, but didn't have anything out with them to candle them and i think she'd be really angry if i took them back to the house with me, LOL! i might tomorrow. they were growing and doing well last time i checked ( and i forget when that was). my concern is only that extended period of time she wasn't on them and the low temps. i figured a couple extra days would be needed. i guess i'll go as long as 6 days. can't hurt at this point. :)

thank you!

If she got off, then hatch isn't any time today. They go into lockdown like we do with our incubators.

I'd give her at least 3 days, since you never know when they eggs were set and such. Plus the cold slows them down.

Back
Top Bottom