Broody hen reintroduced--Flock upset!

Kathy Golla

Crowing
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi there...everyone is so helpful here. I had a broody hen that I put in a broody breaker for 3 days. Im now trying to reintroduce her to her flock of 5 other hens (6 mos old). I have read a lot about using the playpen method for reintroducing injured birds and introducing new birds, but nothing I read recommended anything about reintroducing a hen from the broody breaker. She's in the breaker (away) for three days. Broody hen was 5th on the pecking order out of 6 hens.
So I put her straight back in the pen at about 3 pm. I put out some distractions for the birds, but not any kind of treat to fight over. Oh my gosh, these hens are brutal. Top hen chased her around, lieutenant hen chased her around, she had to defend her spot in the pecking order with another hen (fought briefly with her). The whole flock is stressed out now. Its been about an hour and things seem to have calmed down, lieutenant hen is still challenging her a little bit by going over to her and standing over her when she picks out a spot. The broody hen is holding her own but kind of resting away from the flock.
I plan on letting them out to free range before bed like I usually do. But Im afraid of locking her up with these hens in the coop tonight!
I just want to make sure Im not taking a misstep here and unwittingly creating a bad situation to happen. Will everything be OK? What should I do or watch for? Thanks so much...

Hi, some additional information that might be helpful is that the hen was in the broody breaker in the garage for all three days, full time, so the flock hasnt seen her at all in three days.

As you are learning, the pecking order is like mean girls in high school. A slight vacation (broodiness) results in the need to reestablish her position. Since it's only been 3 days things should resolve fairly rapidly.

I agree with everything said in the above post! They'll work it out.

I've noticed in my flock that sometimes they will go after (not causing injuring, but like you're describing) some hens when they start going broody. It's probably ones lower in the pecking order. I wonder if she's still acting a little broody, too.

Regardless, it all works out.

Yep, they'll get over it. And night time is not when you need to worry. Once they get all settled in for the night, they're not going to harass her. (Roosting time may be a different story, but once they're settled, they should be fine.)

Thank you so much for your quick replies! The broody comment is a good one too. They were after her previously because of it.
Im super glad to know tonight will go OK for her. Thank you for setting my mind at ease!!!

Back
Top Bottom