broody hen sitting on eggs in the cold

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
I have a hen setting on eggs and it has been cold and snowing since a few days after we set her. The last 2 days we have found her sitting on other eggs and another chicken sitting on her eggs. We moved her today. We candeled her eggs and all but 2 were dark. We didn't look for movement as it is still cold. We wanted to keep her with the other chickens since it was warmer in the coop but we felt we needed to move her to another part of the barn. Do you think there is a chance the eggs might hatch? I do not have access to young chicks. The cold has been hard on her too. The eggs were still warm when we moved them.

It was a good idea to move them. If they weren't left uncovered for too long, they could still hatch. Or perhaps the next batch will hatch. All they need is food and water, and a little space so they can stretch their legs a bit. Sometimes you can't tell a lot by candling, depending on several factors. I'd definitely give her the full 21 days, plus a couple, before I gave up on the eggs.

It was a good idea to move them. If they weren't left uncovered for too long, they could still hatch. Or perhaps the next batch will hatch. All they need is food and water, and a little space so they can stretch their legs a bit. Sometimes you can't tell a lot by candling, depending on several factors. I'd definitely give her the full 21 days, plus a couple, before I gave up on the eggs.
Just to add onto this, If they were uncovered for a while it could delay the hatch.

Thank you all. She is sitting where I left her. I forgot what day they were supposed to hatch :oops: I think it is either this week or next week.

UPDATE The eggs never hatched. We took her off the nest and hope she will break being broody soon. We don't have the time to spend with her right now so I will just take her off the nest at night after dark . She is so thin. I hope she makes it. We've been feeding her as much as she can eat so we will just keep that up. I feel so sorry for her.

Back
Top Bottom