Broody hen sitting on empty nest?

chickenbritt5908

Songster
Nov 20, 2019
Oklahoma
I have a hen that has been sitting in her preferred nesting box for about a week or so. I check under her, no eggs. Is this a thing? I’ve been tracking how long she has been setting.. if she is indeed broody, I might stick some chicks under her closer to the 21 days but I want to be sure this is the case?

I have a hen that has been sitting in her preferred nesting box for about a week or so. I check under her, no eggs. Is this a thing? I’ve been tracking how long she has been setting.. if she is indeed broody, I might stick some chicks under her closer to the 21 days but I want to be sure this is the case?
Does she let you get near her? Has she stopped laying? How do the other chickens behave around her?

These are my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

Sounds like you have a Silkie. If you slide your hand towards her does she go on attack? I would break her @aart has written my bible to hen breaking. I do not think introducing chicks at 21 days would work as she never has heard her eggs peeping.

Lord knows I have tried that thought experiment as well. Broody chicken for me have never accepted foreigners.

You could try putting chicks under her. It worked with my hen. She is a first time mom, and she was just sitting on golf balls for a week before she got the chicks. She accepted them, and is now a very proud mama.

She gets up once a day, all fluffed up and hurried. She’s not my first broody. She’s just the first that is showing broody signs but no eggs? I don’t think she is laying.

She gets up once a day, all fluffed up and hurried. She’s not my first broody. She’s just the first that is showing broody signs but no eggs? I don’t think she is laying.
It really sounds like you are the proud owner of a broody hen. Mine sometimes gather oyster shells from around the property to brood. Or rocks or golf balls, or or or.... I guess to make a long story short my girls do not need eggs to brood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom