Broody hen still laying?

Shamo123

Chirping
Dec 14, 2015
England
I managed to make my shamo hen broody a few days ago, i placed 7 eggs under her and shes been very determined ever since. This is the 1st time she will be hatching eggs so she is a beginner although she was hatched by a hen herself, not an incubator.

Anyway for the past 2 days she's laid an egg a day (total of 9 now) which i have found very odd as i can't find any similar case to mine online, from what I've read once they go broody they stop laying.

Any reason why this is happening? It's not a huge deal for me as the 2 new eggs are most likely not even fertile (roosters been away too long) so not worried about her ditching them once she's hatched the 1st batch.

Last edited:
Many broody hens lay a few eggs more. Normally this stops after a few days. Best mark the he egg's. It is best to remove (and eat) the newer eggs. It is easyer for the hen to brood on 7 then on many more eggs. You want these 7 eggs in best and warm brooding conditions.

When they the new eggs are fertile the extra eggs won't hatch because the hen leaves the nest after a few days with the hatched chicks.

I managed to make my shamo hen broody a few days ago, i placed 7 eggs under her and shes been very determined ever since. This is the 1st time she will be hatching eggs so she is a beginner although she was hatched by a hen herself, not an incubator.

Anyway for the past 2 days she's laid an egg a day (total of 9 now) which i have found very odd as i can't find any similar case to mine online, from what I've read once they go broody they stop laying.

Any reason why this is happening? It's not a huge deal for me as the 2 new eggs are most likely not even fertile (roosters been away too long) so not worried about her ditching them once she's hatched the 1st batch.
I find this very confusing on multiple levels.

How did you 'make' your bird go broody?

Being hatched by a broody has nothing to do with her being a good broody(if she is).

Are you sure your other birds are not laying in the 'broody' hens nest?

Since the rooster has been long gone, are the eggs under the 'broody' fertile?...maybe acquired somewhere else?

A friend's Shamo abandoned her first broody eggs. the hen was successful the next time though. -- Also, I've read that being hatched by a broody increases the likeliness of the daughter being broody.

Glad that you asked this question because I did have a broody that continued to lay a couple of eggs. Since broodiness is hormonal, the hormones should turn off the egg laying. As I recall that hen didn't get deeply into broodiness and abandoned her nest. -- Interesting that some are broody to the degree that it is as if they are in a trance...
Good luck with the process!

Its perfectly normal - my broody does the same.

CT

Many broody hens lay a few eggs more. Normally this stops after a few days. Best mark the he egg's. It is best to remove (and eat) the newer eggs. It is easyer for the hen to brood on 7 then on many more eggs. You want these 7 eggs in best and warm brooding conditions.

When they the new eggs are fertile the extra eggs won't hatch because the hen leaves the nest after a few days with the hatched chicks.

And here i was thinking i was the only one who's experienced this, glad to hear it's normal (or at least possible).

Last edited:
I find this very confusing on multiple levels.

How did you 'make' your bird go broody?

Being hatched by a broody has nothing to do with her being a good broody(if she is).

Are you sure your other birds are not laying in the 'broody' hens nest?

Since the rooster has been long gone, are the eggs under the 'broody' fertile?...maybe acquired somewhere else?

I dimmed her room by about 70%, put a few supermarket eggs in there and took her off layers and gave her some corn, she went broody after trying all of the above.

Sorry i should have mentioned she's the only hen and really the only chicken i have with me right now so unless there's a chicken around my area that knows how to open locks I'm certain it's hers lol.

I mentioned her being hatched by a broody just in case it's relevant, i figured a good broody hen would be more likely to produce good broody offspring and a bad broody hen most likely would produce bad broody offspring, this is just a guess though.

The 7 i set under her should be fertile but the 2 recent ones I'm not 100% sure about, they are all hers though.

A friend's Shamo abandoned her first broody eggs.    the hen was successful the next time though.  -- Also, I've read that being hatched by a broody increases the likeliness of the daughter being broody.

Glad that you asked this question because I did have a broody that continued to lay a couple of eggs.  Since broodiness is hormonal, the hormones should turn off the egg laying.  As I recall that hen didn't get deeply into broodiness and abandoned her nest.  -- Interesting that some are broody to the degree that it is as if they are in a trance...  
Good luck with the process!

Thanks for sharing your (and your friends) experience. I've read about broody hatched hens becoming a better broody than incubator ones, not sure if there is any truth in it though.

My hen seems to be getting more in to a trance as they days pass, the 1st couple days she would get up a few times to drink and eat but she's getting up less often now, i coax her out of her room in the morning for some BOSS but she won't easily get up for that either now.

Update:

All 9 eggs were fertile and i think she hatched out 8 of them, i say i think because i saw only one of the eggs abandoned but i only saw 7 chicks so either she swallowed one whole or it hatched and managed to escape out of the small openings in the cage and possibly got eaten by a predator although this sounds unlikely too.

I managed to hatch out the abandoned egg (although i later realised she would have hatched it herself if i had just put in in front of her) and and 4 out of 5 others that i placed in my incubator in case none of hers hatched so she has about 12 chicks under her right now and has been a great mother so far. She's done pretty well for her 1st time.

Hen dining with a few of her chicks.

Last edited:
Update:

All 9 eggs were fertile and i think she hatched out 8 of them, i say i think because i saw only one of the eggs abandoned but i only saw 7 chicks so either she swallowed one whole or it hatched and managed to escape out of the small openings in the cage and possibly got eaten by a predator although this sounds unlikely too.

I managed to hatch out the abandoned egg (although i later realised she would have hatched it herself if i had just put in in front of her) and and 4 out of 5 others that i placed in my incubator in case none of hers hatched so she has about 12 chicks under her right now and has been a great mother so far. She's done pretty well for her 1st time.

Hen dining with a few of her chicks.
babies look like marshmallow peeps candy!
jumpy.gif
Congrats~

Back
Top Bottom