Broody hen stopped sitting but we have eggs still hatching

momiphouph

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
We have a broody hen that hatched 3 chicks the day before yesterday. Today she is not longer sitting on the eggs and hasnt been in the nest all day. We decided to candle the eggs and one started chirping and pippped in our hands. We quickly put it back! I could hear pecking inside another egg... SO COOL! But we are not sure what (if anything) we should do? The eggs are not real warm but obviously some are still thriving... Any thoughts? We have an incubator we can put them in if needed but we dont want to be alarmists... if this is normal. This is our first time with a broody hen but we have incubated before.

update: Mom is not going back in the nest and I can still hear several eggs chirping. The eggs are cold, what do I do???

Put them in the bator to get them warmed back up and add needed humidity. Watch for any signs of shrink wrapped chicks as they will need help. Hope everything goes ok.

if she won't go back, you might have to put them in the incubator. and then maybe try to put the hatched chicks under her and see if she will accept. I don't know what else you could do. I don't have much experience in this though, maybe someone who has dealt with it more could be more help!

Thank YOU!!! I have the bator out and eggs in it... Im trying to remember temps and such for hatching... right now its at 91 temp and 62% humitity... we live in GA and the bator is curently outside, because when we pulled it out it was covered in Black widows! Could this get anymore exciting? Im looking up temps and such, because I cant remember what it is suppose to be. One So far we have 3 pips and one that is zipping! Hopefully we can save these babies!

Quote:
Thanks all!!! What are signs of shrink wrapped chicks? We had a few shrink wrap when we incubated so I have no idea how to look for signs.

We got the rag in, thanks! I forgot about that trick... its been a while. Our temp is now 100.4 and humidity is still bouncing around but currently at 66 we are having to keep a close eye on it. It just keeps going down.

Back
Top Bottom