Broody Hen takes over mother role

irisheyes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
So I had a Broody Hen this spring and decided just to let it run its course. I also introduced 4 new chicks to the flock since we lost 4. The hen came off nest and for what ever reason thinks the 4 chicks are hers. She watches over them constantly , protects them from the other hens and gets all puffed up when I go into the run to play with them. I was worried they would not be accepted and would be picked on but so far the White Hen has played momma to them and they are doing great...

thumbsup.gif

Yes, I have introduced chicks to broody hens and they are doing just fine. A good broody hen is a wonderful thing to have.
smile.png

No we always pull the eggs but she was spending 90 % of the day sitting in the nest box.. I was getting worried about her until the little ones were introduced. Its funny how she looks after them ...

Keep that girl, I too have a broody hen with 11 chicks that I dropped on her at night. She does all the work, and I will have nice new layers this fall, that will seamlessly fit into the flock. Works so well, no separation fences, or bullying.

Last summer she hatched out a flock for me, and did just fine with them in the flock, but I free ranged quite a bit, this year, when she got the chicks, was also a busy time for us, and my SIL's big dog was here. So the whole flock had to stay in the run. I do have a rooster, so maybe that is helping, but nothing is bothering those chicks. So nice.

I think that the chicks are healthier and stronger cause they are outside much earlier than I would dare without her to take care of them and warm them up. She shows them what to eat, and they go crawling over sticks and through deep grass, much more active than if they were in a tote.

I love a broody hen.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom