Broody Hen Thread!

Should I candle the eggs that our hen is sitting on?

I usually candle around day 10, I am only looking for clears or obvious early quitters, by pulling them it reduces chance of exploding or seeping bad eggs and allows for more room in the nest.

Some people choose to not candle at all, it is just a personal preference.

I suggest NOT candling often, there's just no reason to bother the broody that much.

My chicks are 9.5 weeks old. Mamma hen was showing signs of wanting to get away from them when they were 8 weeks old, but she had been trying to fight with one of my other hens through the divide in the run. Trying to put her back with the other hens resulted in her attacking the others and blood was shed. So after a few minutes I had to separate her from them. But a few days later she attacked the bantam chick so she had to come out. For a while I thought she'd end up on her own! But I spent a day out with the hens free ranging and she's finally settled back in with the others and reclaimed her position as top hen. She started laying again 3 days ago - in a hedge instead of the nest box. She's got one of the others laying in the hedge with her as well now. Oh well. At least I know where they are laying!

The chicks are growing up. One is very much a boy. There has been cockadoodledoing from the babies coop this week. I haven't caught who's doing it and I suspect I have more than 1 boy, but this fine fellow is by far the most developed so I think its him. At 9.5 weeks I don't think there's any doubt that he's a cockeral!

My little bantam is tiny. I hope she gets big enough to stand up to my cats!

I've still not worked out which 2 came from the blue eggs. I was told to look for blue ears or tuffs on the head as a sign they might be from a blue egg. But I've got one growing a tuffty head and 2 others with blue ears but only 2 came from blue eggs.

They are both kind of in between white and buff. But the rooster is more buff than the chick at this point. I didnt even think that my roo there could be a black tail Japanese until you said that. I do have a hen that is a btj and she could of been his mom. I wonder what the chick is going to look like????
Thanks for your help.
Marie

You're welcome.

Good morning to all. Read a little on thread. THANK YOU TO ALL HELPING!!!
Here is the latest update.
Momma hen in wire cage has a 6 pack. Am going to clean out her nest today. So far, she is happy to stay in cage.
Momma hen in box has 3 chicks. She got off nest today to eat & drink but babies did not go with her. Hooray, @ least 1 of the old eggs hatched. Will clean her nest out when babies come down to ground. Here is a pic of her 2 days ago, I think, with chick in nest.

Here is momma hen from yesterday. Happy in cage with chicks. Teaching water & food.

Got some catching up to do on site. Hope everyone has a good one!
Congrats on your new babies
wee.gif

I finally got a couple of pics of our chicks. They are 4.5 weeks old and on their own now. Mom is back with the flock and still screams every time one of the roosters looks crosseyed at her but doesn't seem to miss her babies....which aren't babies anymore.

This is Primo. Welsummer/Buff O cross. I could have sworn this is a little roo until my husband pointed out to me as we processed this picture that the hackle feathers weren't 'right'. I looked close and sure enough, there is some black penciling on those hackle feathers similar to a Welsummer hen. Nothing like that on a Buff O and definitely nothing like that on the Welsummer cockerels. This is one bossy little bird though and rules it's brood mates with an iron wing. But boy does it ever have a roosters wattles and comb not to mention attitude. The little gold bum in the picture belongs to one of the 4 Buff O chicks.

The second is little 7 of 8, one of our little miracle chicks that hatched in our kitchen after mom abandoned her two remaining unhatched eggs to take care of her babies.

7 is also a Welsummer/Buff O cross chick and will let me catch and hold it without too much fuss. I can't believe how fast these guys are growing up.

I finally got a couple of pics of our chicks. They are 4.5 weeks old and on their own now. Mom is back with the flock and still screams every time one of the roosters looks crosseyed at her but doesn't seem to miss her babies....which aren't babies anymore. This is Primo. Welsummer/Buff O cross. I could have sworn this is a little roo until my husband pointed out to me as we processed this picture that the hackle feathers weren't 'right'. I looked close and sure enough, there is some black penciling on those hackle feathers similar to a Welsummer hen. Nothing like that on a Buff O and definitely nothing like that on the Welsummer cockerels. This is one bossy little bird though and rules it's brood mates with an iron wing. But boy does it ever have a roosters wattles and comb not to mention attitude. The little gold bum in the picture belongs to one of the 4 Buff O chicks. The second is little 7 of 8, one of our little miracle chicks that hatched in our kitchen after mom abandoned her two remaining unhatched eggs to take care of her babies. 7 is also a Welsummer/Buff O cross chick and will let me catch and hold it without too much fuss. I can't believe how fast these guys are growing up.
:thumbsup They are looking good...I would reserve opinion on Primo for a few weeks then go with neck and saddle feather evaluation

Back
Top Bottom