Broody Hen Thread!

Ea
Easiest way I've found is to use either an iPhone flashlight (my android doesn't seem to do as good) or just a regular LED bulb flashlight (like ones u can get at register at TSC) and despite everything I've read saying to put the bulb at the small end, I think it's easiest to do from the air cell end and I don't have to flip my egg upside down that way..it's really simple. .I promise..lol..
Here's a blue egg being candle with an iPhone. .it was to show someone the weird air cell, but blue eggs are generally the hardest to see thru so using it as ]

Thanks, Wildhens! I will definitely use your method the with our next batch of chicks! Now that this little group seems to be doing well, I think I will be a little more confident next time.

I am so relieved that Cupcake seems to be a great mom so far. We still haven't fully decided what to do with her broody sister.... I think I may buy some day old chicks for her to raise (someone suggested it, and it seems like a good idea).

Day 21 and we have a pip on one of our eggs. I'm so excited! I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well. This is my hens first clutch. The chick will be a Asian blue/cream legbar mutt.

Good Luck. Just for info which might not apply to you at all----I have great hatches with my broodies, BUT I never lift/tilt her the last 3 days while she is hatching--totally hands off----only observe from a distance----I do not offer her feed or water that she can eat/reach while she is on the nest. They do good with No pooping in the nest. Again good Luck!

Shes been sitting for three days and shrieks when I go near her shes on 10 eggs is she broody or sick?

Thanks, Wildhens! I will definitely use your method the with our next batch of chicks! Now that this little group seems to be doing well, I think I will be a little more confident next time.

I am so relieved that Cupcake seems to be a great mom so far. We still haven't fully decided what to do with her broody sister.... I think I may buy some day old chicks for her to raise (someone suggested it, and it seems like a good idea).

Yep, I send a lot of day-olds to friends with broody hens.. it definitely helps them cut their broody time in half and most take to them just fine. My absolute best black hen in my paint breeding pen is also my best broody, so whatever I can do to shorten her time spent incubating and raising babies and the faster she gets back to laying is best (granted for me, not her)..this was the first time I had ever snuck almost ready to hatch eggs under her to see if that helped and so far, so good..
Hope both of your girls turn out to be wonderful mamas..there is nothing sweeter than a hen followed by a line of chicks..I'm a firm believer that one can never have too many broodies..lol

Well I made a broody chart, for those who would like it, it is editable, in excel, but the site wont allow me to attach it or upload it. So PM me is you would like to use it. I really think it came in handy with keeping track of which chick hatched from which egg. I don't have a defined breeding program yet, but this is starting me off in the right track, and it is more for using broody hens rather than for incubation. I wanted some feedback on it too, maybe something I am missing that might be essential to monitor during developement....

do any of you guys have a Hen with spurs? Mine that is broody I am worried about the spurs gouging the chicks after hatch, what is your experience, do you remove or clip/trim before hatch, put corks on them?

TIA much appreciated! <3

do any of you guys have a Hen with spurs? Mine that is broody I am worried about the spurs gouging the chicks after hatch, what is your experience, do you remove or clip/trim before hatch, put corks on them?

TIA much appreciated! <3

I would trim her spurs a bit, not so much for length but to make sure they are well rounded at least. We use a Dremel Tool to cut them off, the grinding wheel allows us to then round the ends quite well.

Back
Top Bottom