Broody Hen Thread!

Our broody hatched another chick today. That makes 4 days since the first egg hatched. She's still setting on the remaining eggs, so we might get a few more.

I sure should have been paying more attention when she first went broody and kept the other hens from laying eggs in her box. We might end up with chicks spaced a week or so apart.

Thank you for the help. I do have bricks around the nest and pine chips piled up around it. The chicks should be able to get back to Mama from any direction.

I marked six eggs early on and kept removing the new ones. No chicks have hatched since yesterday afternoon. I don't think the others are viable if they don't hatch quickly so if I can get Mama off the nest, and there are no noises or pips, the last two eggs will be removed.
Thanks everyone! Mama hen finally left her nest and those last two unhatched eggs. She patiently waited for 2 days but had enough. Whew! She was parked beside it with her babies and made no fuss when I pulled out the nest box. The mash suggested here worked great and got them through those two days of waiting. The broody was looking really bad since week 1 sitting through some very hot days but I think I already see an improvement. She even brought her babies outside for a few minutes today. Her natural instincts to do these things just brings tears to my eyes. God is good.

Thanks everyone! Mama hen finally left her nest and those last two unhatched eggs. She patiently waited for 2 days but had enough. Whew! She was parked beside it with her babies and made no fuss when I pulled out the nest box. The mash suggested here worked great and got them through those two days of waiting. The broody was looking really bad since week 1 sitting through some very hot days but I think I already see an improvement. She even brought her babies outside for a few minutes today. Her natural instincts to do these things just brings tears to my eyes. God is good.

why has she left the nest after just 2 days, dont the other chicks need to be kept warm?
our hen didnt move from the nest on day one of hatching, and taught the chicks to feed in the nest on day 2 when another hatched
she didnt leave the nest till day 3 and only for a few minute at a time to show them how to dig in the coop floor, then shed be sitting back while they were getting warm.... all food for her was within reach so she didnt have to leave the nest, and although chick feed was put in on day 2 she used her food to crunch up for them our final egg hatched on day 4. but we should have put it in a brooder and it got trod on,
god is cruel

Last edited:
Hopefully I can hatch?
1f612.png
i don't know if it's possible this year

why has she left the nest after just 2 days, dont the other chicks need to be kept warm?
our hen didnt move from the nest on day one of hatching, and taught the chicks to feed in the nest on day 2 when another hatched
she didnt leave the nest till day 3 and only for a few minute at a time to show them how to dig in the coop floor, then shed be sitting back while they were getting warm.... all food for her was within reach so she didnt have to leave the nest, and although chick feed was put in on day 2 she used her food to crunch up for them our final egg hatched on day 4. but we should have put it in a brooder and it got trod on,
My hen moved her babies away from the bad eggs and is taking great care of them. I probably need to move on to a chick thread now. that we have hatched. My hen is a 6 month old hatchery chick and never knew a mama so everything she is doing is instinctive. If she made some mistakes it would be understandable, but she has been perfect.

My hen moved her babies away from the bad eggs and is taking great care of them. I probably need to move on to a chick thread now. that we have hatched. My hen is a 6 month old hatchery chick and never knew a mama so everything she is doing is instinctive. If she made some mistakes it would be understandable, but she has been perfect.
dont know if our hen knew her mum or not, but she was good at it,
i read an article where it was said, that chickens are the most researched creature in the animal kingdom.
and all chickens are run by basic instinct, i read that chicks blindfolded at hatching instinctively scratch in the dirt, and upon finding a worm or tasty morsel, will run with it as if they are being chased, so this is why you see hens running with their food, its purely instinctual, i wonder if its also instinct that makes hens chase after other hens who have a tasty titbit.

god is cruel

The hen left the nest because there were hatched chicks that needed cared for.her other eggs may not have been viable, or maybe they were delayed, but it does not change the fact that she had living chicks she knew needed care. If people didn't put chickens in artificial environments then hens would hatch in secluded areas and not have to worry about dealing with staggered hatches. It isn't that 'God is cruel'...it is just that people messing with mother nature create situations which cause choices to need be made. A hen choosing to care for hatched and already viable chicks instead of waiting for 'possibly viable ' eggs makes perfect sense for me. To avoid these unfortunate situations a person should do their research, know what pitfalls to avoid and learn how to help the brooding hen rather than allowing problems to occur. Please don't blame the hen for doing the best job her nature teaches her to do.

Last edited:
The last couple of nights, I've noticed that someone has been sleeping in the nest boxes. Figured I'd check on them with a light tonight, to find out who. Well, in my time sitting with the birds this evening, Betty was acting "different" again. Not fluffing and clucking, but making a dash to the nest boxes to figure out where she wanted to be for the evening, I guess. Had the roo up in arms too kinda chasing her around and actively checking the skies for some threat.

Confirmed who when I went out to the coop to check on the birds after hearing some squawking from the girls trying to figure out where they were going to be for the night.

There's a heavy possibility in the air of a hurricane strolling through this weekend, so it doesn't surprise me that Ms. Betty feels the need to squat in a box. We'll see if she commits or not.

The last couple of nights, I've noticed that someone has been sleeping in the nest boxes. Figured I'd check on them with a light tonight, to find out who. Well, in my time sitting with the birds this evening, Betty was acting "different" again. Not fluffing and clucking, but making a dash to the nest boxes to figure out where she wanted to be for the evening, I guess. Had the roo up in arms too kinda chasing her around and actively checking the skies for some threat. Confirmed who when I went out to the coop to check on the birds after hearing some squawking from the girls trying to figure out where they were going to be for the night. There's a heavy possibility in the air of a hurricane strolling through this weekend, so it doesn't surprise me that Ms. Betty feels the need to squat in a box. We'll see if she commits or not.
She is a pretty girl, it could be the weather or her hormones starting to act up. Did you notice if there is poop in the nest? Once our girls commit to a box overnight they quit pooping in it if they are broody.

She is a pretty girl, it could be the weather or her hormones starting to act up. Did you notice if there is poop in the nest? Once our girls commit to a box overnight they quit pooping in it if they are broody.
Thank you! Yes, still poop in the nest, so she won't be getting any eggs until she commits. I've got a spare dog kennel in the coop (no door on it) that I'm optimistic to move her to, and surround with a puppy pen that I've already "upgraded" for containing baby chicks lol. I feel ready for a broody, just need someone to commit. I have high hopes for Betty though, and will try to keep things as normal as possible so she doesn't quit this time around, before she even gets good and set.

And if her behavior outside of the box goes to "normal" for her, I'll block off the boxes entirely at night. I don't have any interest in fishing poop out of the boxes in the morning LOL

Back
Top Bottom