Broody Hen Thread!

Cross posted in hopes of fast response:  I have a cochin that went broody so I purchased three chicks and put them with her last night.  This morning I check on them and they are all well but Twigs is still acting broody and refuses to leave the nest.  Anytime a chick ventures out she aggressively pecks at it to the point of distressed chirping and causing it to fall from the nesting box.  Is she rejecting them?  Should I remove them from her?  I am concerned about them being denied access to food and water.  TIA.

You dont specify how long she has been broody? Many hens will adopt day old chicks but not early on in their broody cycle...many need to sit for a week to 10 days before they will even consider adopting. Some won't until closer to day 20 or 21, each hen is different. You can't just give them to the hen and let it go at that, many need help through an adjustment period (both the hens and chicks) and sometimes a hen will come around after a few hours but if she has scared the chicks during her initial reaction (which she can't be blamed for) then the adoption becomes about impossible and as PD Riverman said you will need to pull the chicks before they are harmed.

Search this thread under my name for post with words 'stages of broody hen'... I detailed the problems more in it. I am on mobile and have limited search capability right now.

My blue Andalusian hen likes to sit in a little collapsed cardboard box that's on the coop. She goes in therror every day for about an hour.
Examples

Sometimes she lays an egg under there sometimea she doesnt.
When I see her in there I put a few eggs in front of her and she tucks them under her like a broody would every time,however she's not acting like a typical broody.
Could this be a beginning sign of broodyness or is she just weird
She probably is starting to get broody...but before I gave her any eggs to set, I would make up a more appropriate nest box for her...make it about the same size and maybe even put the cardboard box inside the new nest box...place it in the same spot as the box she is using now...give her a few ceramic eggs or golf balls...leave them in the nest box for her...then wait to see just how broody she is going to get...if she goes into "Full Blown Broody Mode"...refusing to leave the box, someone had a great description when they called it a "Broody Pancake", striking out at you, growling, puffing up like a puffer fish, if she does leave the nest she will do so in a panicked snit fit! Rushing around the coop and yard stopping to grab a quick beak of food and/ or water...almost seeming "Confused"...if this behaviour starts, move her and her "Box" to a safe broody area, so no one else is using her nest. Leave her with the fake eggs for a few days...if she sticks to it...change out the fake eggs with real ones...and start counting the days.

Yes, she will probably kill them. Some hens after setting for a few weeks will accept/adopt chicks--- A lot want. She knows they are not hers----I would suggest you Go get them now and brood them in a heated brooder. Good Luck
I swear they can count...probably do calculus better than I could...if I could!!! Great advice!!! PDRiverman!!!

My blue Andalusian hen likes to sit in a little collapsed cardboard box that's on the coop. She goes in therror every day for about an hour.
Examples

Sometimes she lays an egg under there sometimea she doesnt.
When I see her in there I put a few eggs in front of her and she tucks them under her like a broody would every time,however she's not acting like a typical broody.
Could this be a beginning sign of broodyness or is she just weird
Not really. I have hens that will get in the nesting boxes and almost cover themselves up with the hay---might stay in the nest a hour or two and fuss at any other hen that comes close----but she is not broody or going broody. Some hens like a dark nest and some like to make it they way they want..

She probably is starting to get broody...but before I gave her any eggs to set, I would make up a more appropriate nest box for her...make it about the same size and maybe even put the cardboard box inside the new nest box...place it in the same spot as the box she is using now...give her a few ceramic eggs or golf balls...leave them in the nest box for her...then wait to see just how broody she is going to get...if she goes into "Full Blown Broody Mode"...refusing to leave the box, someone had a great description when they called it a "Broody Pancake", striking out at you, growling, puffing up like a puffer fish, if she does leave the nest she will do so in a panicked snit fit! Rushing around the coop and yard stopping to grab a quick beak of food and/ or water...almost seeming "Confused"...if this behaviour starts, move her and her "Box" to a safe broody area, so no one else is using her nest. Leave her with the fake eggs for a few days...if she sticks to it...change out the fake eggs with real ones...and start counting the days.

I'm gonna give her a few days before i make a decision tbh, I'll leave a few golf balls in there to see what she does in the meantime

I have two broody hens (light brahmas) in the same a small coop i have that i like to call a little nursery and i was curious that if the two would get along if they both hatch there clutches of eggs
and this is my first time hatching eggs with hens and would like to know how they would react to each other and if one will take over the other's clutch of eggs

I have two broody hens (light brahmas) in the same a small coop i have that i like to call a little nursery and i was curious that if the two would get along if they both hatch there clutches of eggs
and this is my first time hatching eggs with hens and would like to know how they would react to each other and if one will take over the other's clutch of eggs

Unfortunately there is no way for anyone to accurately answer your question, there are just to many variables involved. Each hen behaves a bit different when broody and while a broody may tolerate one hen in her group she may freak about another and only experience can tell you how it will work.
I can only tell you that in my coop (a wide mix of bird types, sizes and ages with extensive broody and chick experience) I still approach each new broody setting with caution and frequent attention to avert problems if they develop.

I have hens who I know won't tolerate any other birds near them, some who allow other hens to sit with them for short periods but get grouchy if anyone overstays and a couple of hens who seem to do better paired off with another, but the vast majority just don't follow a pattern. I generally provide individual nests and give them a coupleof days to settle before adding good eggs. This gives me time to watch how she is going to behave.

I'm sorry if I have made it more complicated but we are dealing with hormonal birds....they just don't cooperate!

I have a broody hen and today was hatch day, sadly none of the babies made it past pipping. Only two made it to hatch day.(one hen decided to go crazy and when momma hen was eating and ate five of the nine and two weren't fertile.) How can I ease her back to normal. Poor thing is still waiting on them to hatch
1f62d.png

Back
Top Bottom