Broody Hen Thread!

My bantam has done a great job rescuing my brahmas eggs. There were 3 running around last night when I got home so I put them under the brahma so the bantam would continue to sit. She's got 1 more now. I don't know if the last 2 will hatch - she has obviously left the nest at some point today as there is a broody poop next to the food. 4 out of the 6 eggs that had gone cold is good going though I think.

The brahma had the 3 back with no problems.
IMG_20170527_161334.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_161217.jpg
    IMG_20170527_161217.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 13
hi! I'm new here...
I was really excited when my first hen went broody! But, of course she started sitting on eggs in all the other hen's favorite nest box. Sooooo, I decided to move her to a secluded area where she could brood! 3 weeks later 6 of 8 eggs hatched. So I moved them outside, then suddenly another hen was broody. So, I did the same thing as the first, so 3 weeks later, 7 of 7 eggs hatched! And now another broody hen is sitting right now. I'm SO happy with all the little chicks running around!View attachment 555231

How fun. I'm so happy your Buff Orp is finally getting to be a momma. (Yes, I'm also familiar with that broody language...my, my, girls, you need to watch your tongues). Let us know how she does and post pics when the chicks arrive.

Has anyone had success getting a "pre-incubated" egg from someone else and putting it under a broody?

Had a broody. At around 3 weeks of setting, I moved the 8 birds (including her) to a larger coop with 6 pullets coming to POL that they'd been free ranging with for several weeks. I figured that would break her. Nope. Sure didn't. I just went this past Saturday to a nearby farm (about 12 miles one way) to collect a freshly hatched chick. He had a waterer mishap so sent me off with an egg that was a couple of days from hatch, based on candling on site.

I handled it as carefully as I could, pointy end down, and slipped it under her when I got home. It's Monday now and when I checked earlier. No external pips. Thinking about candling tonight when I go out there to refresh the chick waterers (I have 18 seven week olds in an in-coop brooder). I guess if it doesn't hatch, I'll have to go find a couple of day olds elsewhere to try to graft to her.

Anywho, really just wanting to see if others have had success with transporting eggs that were that far along in incubation to put under a broody. Anyone?

I haven't gotten eggs from someone else already started, but I have definitely taken eggs and started them in the incubator and the broody hen. I do that when I purchase mail order eggs. I always get about twice as many as I need since the shipping does damage to the eggs. I then set the best under a broody and the rest in the incubator. I reassess at days 5, 10 and 14 to remove eggs not developing and place the best eggs under the broody.

So, absolutely you can hatch pre-incubated eggs, just making sure the travel time is very brief without a lot of egg cooling, and more importantly, egg shaking.

Good luck on this hatch :D
LofMc

I have a BA hen who has gone broody she's been broody for about a week more or less. Can I still put fertilized eggs under her and she still hatch them? I have had hens go long past broody time so I think I can but maybe not. Tell me if you think she can or can't

I have a BA hen who has gone broody she's been broody for about a week more or less. Can I still put fertilized eggs under her and she still hatch them? I have had hens go long past broody time so I think I can but maybe not. Tell me if you think she can or can't
As long as you're saying she doesn't already have eggs.

I had moved my broody hen out of her unsuccessful nest and in with the rest of the flock. She integrated back just fine! I'm curious if any of you can tell me how long it takes for her to start laying eggs again?

I have some friends interested in buying other layers I have and I'm just curious how my egg production will work out in coming weeks! TYIA!

Back
Top Bottom