Broody Hen Thread!

I guess that's a thought - to just let her hatch them 4 foot up. And then put them in a brooder til they all hatch - and THEN hope she 'takes' to them. It'd be nice for her to raise them.

Quote:
Well DUMB ME!
he.gif
I did a scattered hatch with one of my hens so they all hatched at different times! lol. So I had to hath the ones that got abandoned from the nest in the incubator, and when they hatched at night I just put them under the hen and she accepted them!

Quote:
Thats awesome! Did you candle them yet?

I did but they were pretty hard to see into since the eggs are so dark, I did see movement in two of them:)

Thats nice. I didn't even bother candling mine. lol

Quote:
My Buff Orpington had the SAME problem. I wanted to move her in a coop away from the other birds, but NO she HAD to have that nest box. lol So I brought the nest box to the coop and she's doing just fine!

I had the same problem, same breed. She threw a huge fit when I tried to move her away from the other chickens and the nest box she picked out, so I let her go back in and I went and moved her at night. Had her sit on some plastic easter eggs for a few days to see if she would stay at the new box, then slipped the real eggs under her at night. I don't think she has moved since. Should I be worried about her eating and drinking? she has both close by but I don't think she has moved off those eggs, it's hard to tell.

Quote:
My Buff Orpington had the SAME problem. I wanted to move her in a coop away from the other birds, but NO she HAD to have that nest box. lol So I brought the nest box to the coop and she's doing just fine!

I had the same problem, same breed. She threw a huge fit when I tried to move her away from the other chickens and the nest box she picked out, so I let her go back in and I went and moved her at night. Had her sit on some plastic easter eggs for a few days to see if she would stay at the new box, then slipped the real eggs under her at night. I don't think she has moved since. Should I be worried about her eating and drinking? she has both close by but I don't think she has moved off those eggs, it's hard to tell.

Well what I do is if they don't get off their eggs, or if there getting really skinny, I will pull her of her nest and put the water and fodd in front of her. She may sit while shes eating and drinking, then she goes in the nest by herself. But just in case I would watch her to see if she eats and gets back on them.

I have a mixed breed hen that has been sitting on 2 fake eggs for 4 days. I have guinea eggs in the incubator that still have 20 days, and I added one chicken egg to the incubator last night...
so I will probably put some of those eggs under her or wait till they hatch and put some chicks under her... which way do you think will work best???

Quote:
I think you should just put as many eggs as you can under the hen and let her hatch them, I mean it's like having 2 incubators and a brooder. lol. Thats what I would do, now you will have more room in the bator!

Back
Top Bottom