Broody Hen Thread!

I just got a broody silkie, should I put eggs underneath her?
Have you kept her in any type of quarantine set up? If she is sick, then whatever she has she could pass to the chicks when they hatch and then you will have 5 or 6 sick birds instead of one....

If she is healthy (including mites and lice check) and you are set up to handle chicks in your coop then you can give her eggs if you want.

Just been out to feed/water/check on my chickens and noticed one of my favourites is missing. After a thorough search I found her behind a wood stack, sitting on 14 eggs! She must have been persuading some of the other hens to lay in there as there are eggs of at least 3 different colours in there - clever girl! I had thought egg production had dropped for a couple of days!!

Just been out to feed/water/check on my chickens and noticed one of my favourites is missing. After a thorough search I found her behind a wood stack, sitting on 14 eggs! She must have been persuading some of the other hens to lay in there as there are eggs of at least 3 different colours in there - clever girl! I had thought egg production had dropped for a couple of days!!
Congrats on the broody!
I have actually watched hens pick up eggs and move them from one nest to another... a broody can be a very determined little critter!

So she may have been moving eggs out of the regular nest boxes to her preferred position for a few days.

Last edited:
Here is my broody, Fluffy. She is an 8 month old Buff Orpington. I noticed her sitting on 4 eggs one day displaying all the broody traits talked about on here! I waited a week to see if she was "serious" and when that week was up I drove two hours to buy her some gorgeous buff, light and dark Brahma eggs! There are twelve under her!

Here is my broody, Fluffy. She is an 8 month old Buff Orpington. I noticed her sitting on 4 eggs one day displaying all the broody traits talked about on here! I waited a week to see if she was "serious" and when that week was up I drove two hours to buy her some gorgeous buff, light and dark Brahma eggs! There are twelve under her!

She looks VERY serious! Lol! I love to look at broody hens.

She is in a good brood!
Good luck to Fluffy and you on her hatch. Have fun watching her.
big_smile.png

If you need candling help, be sure to post questions.
Lady of McCamley

Congrats on the broody!
I have actually watched hens pick up eggs and move them from one nest to another... a broody can be a very determined little critter!

So she may have been moving eggs out of the regular nest boxes to her preferred position for a few days.
Yes they can!

Don't they carry them in their wings? I know they can do that with the chicks. I've not had one of my hens do the carry thing...they just roll from one nest to the next.

Determined girl!
Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom