Broody Hen Thread!

I have ANOTHER broody (she is the 45th this year...) and she is sitting on 7 eggs!
Update On HennyPenny: She has got 2 more chicks, she now has 4 altogether, and the rets are pipping! I hope all the pippers make it so that it can be a 100% hatch rate like last time with her!

I have ANOTHER broody (she is the 45th this year...) and she is sitting on 7 eggs!
Update On HennyPenny: She has got 2 more chicks, she now has 4 altogether, and the rets are pipping! I hope all the pippers make it so that it can be a 100% hatch rate like last time with her!
How many hens do you have total? I'm waiting for another one of mine to go broody so I can do a test hatch with my new rooster.

How many hens do you have total? I'm waiting for another one of mine to go broody so I can do a test hatch with my new rooster.
Oh she had a 100% hatch rate! She ended up with 12 chicks out of 12 eggs! I am so very proud of her!
Edited 'cause i misread your post!
I have about 80 hens (for your first question)

Last edited:
@ChickyChickens but how many hens do you have total if you've had 45 broodies? Or do you have the same hens with 2 or 3 different clutches? Just curious because for a lot of backyard chicken keepers even 12 chickens is a large flock. (or too large for our significant others haha)

@ChickyChickens but how many hens do you have total if you've had 45 broodies? Or do you have the same hens with 2 or 3 different clutches? Just curious because for a lot of backyard chicken keepers even 12 chickens is a large flock. (or too large for our significant others haha)
12 chickens a large flock?
ep.gif
I have 80 hens (free range) and I thought I had a small flock
lau.gif
!
To answer your question :some of my hens have been broody twice this yaer already (like HennyPenny) but others have only been once. I try to be natural so I never collect the eggs. I leave them in the nest until the hen decides that she has got the right amount of eggs to go broody! If i think she has got too many then i take some out! All in all i normally end out with hens sitting on a clutch of 12 - 29 eggs!

12 chickens a large flock?:eek:  I have 80 hens (free range) and I thought I had a small flock :lau !
To answer your question :some of my hens have been broody twice this yaer already (like HennyPenny) but others have only been once. I try to be natural so I never collect the eggs. I leave them in the nest until the hen decides that she has got the right amount of eggs to go broody! If i think she has got too many then i take some out! All in all i normally end out with hens sitting on a clutch of 12 - 29 eggs!
wow you must have some big hens

Back
Top Bottom