Broody Hen Thread!

Thank You very much...tomorrow night it is then! =)

Ther reason why it's better to move them at night is because they are not stressed out as much as to move them during the day. They are in that sort of trance at night; so it's best to move them at night.

Last edited:
Ther reason why it's better to move them at night is because they are not stressed out as much as to move them during the day. They are in that sort of trance at night; so it's best to move them at night.

Right! Thanks. =) I'm so excited. She's such a sweet hen. I love that she is the one that always goes broody.

I just went out to close the coop up for the night and found one of my white face black Spanish hens all sorts of broody. I'm scared to death. It was 20 degrees this morning and we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground. Does she maybe know that the weather is going to improve by the time the chicks hatch? My nesting boxes aren't exactly meant for hatching. :/ They're 3ft off the ground! Should I steal the eggs and put them in the incubator? Should I build her a better nesting box? What about all the other chickens that are with her?!? I'm so nervous and don't know the best thing to do for this girl and her eggs!!!

I just went out to close the coop up for the night and found one of my white face black Spanish hens all sorts of broody. I'm scared to death. It was 20 degrees this morning and we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground. Does she maybe know that the weather is going to improve by the time the chicks hatch? My nesting boxes aren't exactly meant for hatching. :/ They're 3ft off the ground! Should I steal the eggs and put them in the incubator? Should I build her a better nesting box? What about all the other chickens that are with her?!? I'm so nervous and don't know the best thing to do for this girl and her eggs!!!

She should be perfectly fine. Just watch closely when they hatch so you can move them to a safer environment.

Quote:
Agreed. Let her stay broody for a couple days to confirm, then move her in the dark (and some real or fake eggs) to a pet carrier on the floor of the coop and lock her there for a day; she should sit fine in there and it will be safer for chicks to hatch at ground level.

I have a hen that hatched 3 chicks yesterday and they all seemed fine this morning but when I came home from work to check on them the chicks were dead. I'm trying to figure out what could have happened. Did she suffocate them or maybe not keep them warm?? Has anyone had this happen before, I feel like I should have done something more for them but don't know what. I assumed she would do a better job than me but guess I was wrong.
barnie.gif

FireWifeJess - Thats great that she took all the chicks. I have a very batty chicken that is kind of cranky to me but she is the best mother. I guess you just never know!

Last edited:
I have a hen that hatched 3 chicks yesterday and they all seemed fine this morning but when I came home from work to check on them the chicks were dead. I'm trying to figure out what could have happened. Did she suffocate them or maybe not keep them warm?? Has anyone had this happen before, I feel like I should have done something more for them but don't know what. I assumed she would do a better job than me but guess I was wrong.
barnie.gif

I'm sorry that happened to you. I haven't had that experience with my broodies but I have heard of this before. Is it the first time she had chicks? Sometimes I know when hens are young it can be more problematic. I have heard of hens killing their chicks too. If I were you I wouldn't have done anything different then what you did. If you decide to use her again try to plan the hatch for a time when you will be around all day so you can really watch in case you need to intervene.

Back
Top Bottom