Broody Hen Thread!

After playing musical chicken coops I got my new broody into the broody coop. By the time I get my shipped eggs she will have been sitting for 13 days. Do you think she will continue to sit another three weeks after that if I put a few of the eggs under her?

After playing musical chicken coops I got my new broody into the broody coop. By the time I get my shipped eggs she will have been sitting for 13 days. Do you think she will continue to sit another three weeks after that if I put a few of the eggs under her?
mine usually do, but have a back up plan just in case and watch her body condition closely and make sure she has lots of good quality feed available.

mine usually do, but have a back up plan just in case and watch her body condition closely and make sure she has lots of good quality feed available.

Thanks. I know she was getting up at least once a day before I moved her because she kept going back to the wrong nest. She gets fermented grower feed and dried meal worms. Hard to tell how much she is eating. Think she will have to get used to her new home. This is her first time. Most of the eggs will be in the incubator so the ones I give her can go there if she quits. I really enjoy mom brooding the babies though so I don't want her to give up too soon.

I agree with Fisherlady, she should be fine.

The average brood for a hen is 5 weeks, some longer, some much shorter.

Ideally you want to set them by the end of the first week of brood, but they hear the chicks growing in the shells, which should help her stick the additional time. If it is a Silkie, they will sit until it hatches even if it is a rock.

LofMc

I agree with Fisherlady, she should be fine.

The average brood for a hen is 5 weeks, some longer, some much shorter.

Ideally you want to set them by the end of the first week of brood, but they hear the chicks growing in the shells, which should help her stick the additional time. If it is a Silkie, they will sit until it hatches even if it is a rock.

LofMc

She is actually a cream legbar. I don't think they are supposed to be too broody but nobody told her. How many weeks does it take a broody to hatch a rock? Lol
I guess the reason they are willing to sit so long is because they can't seem to stay on the right nest box.

I'm becoming a bit concerned. Our broody (first ever), Nessie, has been sitting faithfully on her clutch and tomorrow will be day 23. I looked under her today and there were no chicks or even pips. We didn't candle at any point so I don't know if any were viable. She's got 7 eggs under her, I just wonder how long to let her go before replacing the eggs. She's still very dedicated, so I will put other eggs under her if necessary , I just don't want to compromise her health. Any suggestions?

chicksurreal: If definitely nothing has pipped at all, you could candle them now. Carefully!
Thanks!

I have no experience with this at all, I'll try to candle in the morning if nothing has happened during the night.

She's still so protective, I'm reluctant to disturb her. But I don't want her to keep sitting on eggs that aren't viable either.

tomorrow will be day 23. I just don't want to compromise her health. Any suggestions?
If ALL the eggs under her were set 23 full days ago---you can chunk them----if the eggs were fertile----something happen during the 23 day that caused them to die. As far as re-setting her----thats your call----if you do---she might not stay on them for 3 more weeks---then she might. """I""" personally would break her. Good Luck!!

I myself wouldnt break her. But that's just me... I would give her another go. My hen is on week 5 and will have chicks hatching Wednesday. She lost her first clutch to the wind rolling the broody coop and breaking her eggs. And she is going to be a first time momma now!!

And yes I would toss the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom