Broody Hen Thread!

Need opinions on my coop set-up as a nursery once the chicks hatch. This is the coop. The inside coop is 4x4 and the run underneath is 4x8.

Here's my problem. See this ramp? I'm worried that once the chicks hatch they might toddle out the door and off the ramp. Should I close off the door to the ramp for a couple of weeks?

This is the inside of the coop. Not sure if it's roomy enough for 2 mamas and a bunch of chicks. What do you think?

Nice coop! However, broody hens tend to like tons of space between one another once the chicks hatch. They don't really get along and are prone to attacking one another's babies in the hope of their chicks getting more food.

You could try putting temporary guard-rails on the ramp, making them widen out at the bottom like a funnel so the chicks are guided into the ramp to follow their mother.

Best of luck!

Nice coop! However, broody hens tend to like tons of space between one another once the chicks hatch. They don't really get along and are prone to attacking one another's babies in the hope of their chicks getting more food.

You could try putting temporary guard-rails on the ramp, making them widen out at the bottom like a funnel so the chicks are guided into the ramp to follow their mother.

Best of luck!

Hey that's a great idea!!!! Thanks!!!

Need opinions on my coop set-up as a nursery once the chicks hatch. This is the coop. The inside coop is 4x4 and the run underneath is 4x8.

Here's my problem. See this ramp? I'm worried that once the chicks hatch they might toddle out the door and off the ramp. Should I close off the door to the ramp for a couple of weeks?

This is the inside of the coop. Not sure if it's roomy enough for 2 mamas and a bunch of chicks. What do you think?

Say hello to Lucy and Betty. They're really crammed into those nesting boxes which after hatch I'm going to reconfigure so they're bigger for the next go round.
Keep in mind it has been a long time since I was a kid with broody hens, so others can overrule my suggestions:

Those look like typical nesting boxes, and hens like to be tucked up, ime. They never seem to chose wide roomy spaces for their nests when they get to build their own.
I'd personally want them to have more space than the coop alone from the outset, but we free-ranged, so I'm no expert on how much is "enough"
Chicks are pretty "bouncy", aren't they?
If you're really worried, maybe you could put short "wings" on the ramp part of the way down, so they can go down, and yet not be at risk of falling right from the top (although it doesn't look terribly far to me)

Whoops, I see I missed a few posts above saying just what I did.....sorry bout that! But I guess x2 for the sides on the ramp, and more space for the hatchlings and mamas

Whoops, I see I missed a few posts above saying just what I did.....sorry bout that! But I guess x2 for the sides on the ramp, and more space for the hatchlings and mamas

Great minds think alike.
smile.png

I am so excited!!! I have finally given in and let one of my hens sit on some eggs. She is my second broody hen. I was able to break the first one after a week but Snowpea was very stubborn. She refuses to use the nesting box and prefers to nest in a corner of the coop. The other hens tend to stay out of her space so I haven't done anything to separate her as of yet. I placed 9 eggs under her this afternoon. I went out to check on her late this evening and she is sleeping soundly in her corner.
I have a easter egger roo. 7 of the eggs came from easter egger hens. One came from one of my astrolorps and the last egg is a brahama. I can't wait to see what hatches!
This is my first time letting a broody hen sit on eggs so I will probably be asking for suggestions soon.

I am so excited!!! I have finally given in and let one of my hens sit on some eggs. She is my second broody hen. I was able to break the first one after a week but Snowpea was very stubborn. She refuses to use the nesting box and prefers to nest in a corner of the coop. The other hens tend to stay out of her space so I haven't done anything to separate her as of yet. I placed 9 eggs under her this afternoon. I went out to check on her late this evening and she is sleeping soundly in her corner.
I have a easter egger roo. 7 of the eggs came from easter egger hens. One came from one of my astrolorps and the last egg is a brahama. I can't wait to see what hatches!
This is my first time letting a broody hen sit on eggs so I will probably be asking for suggestions soon.

Awesome! You'll be getting some amazing chicks!

Great minds think alike.
smile.png

to which quote my father invariably added "and fools seldom differ"
gig.gif

But it's clear we fall on the side of the former state, right?
lol.png

I have a mental image of the hens picking up their skirts to take their young 'uns out the first time, and being aghast at the skater rail! HOOLIGANS!!

Say hello to Lucy and Betty. They're really crammed into those nesting boxes which after hatch I'm going to reconfigure so they're bigger for the next go round.
I would close them in for a few days, not weeks...and the moms might get into a few squabbles..but as they are familiar with each other....they may get along fine..the only issue I would worry about, is the chicks getting back into the coop...you would think they would see mama climb the ramp and follow her. Some might but I can almost guarantee that one or two will be left running around outside confused about where mom went. You may have to stick around on the day you let them out to be sure no one gets left out in the cold...mine took a couple days..other then adding a few lower perches it looks just fine...Wish I had one...I use a couple chicken tractors...and portable fences.

I would close them in for a few days, not weeks...and the moms might get into a few squabbles..but as they are familiar with each other....they may get along fine..the only issue I would worry about, is the chicks getting back into the coop...you would think they would see mama climb the ramp and follow her. Some might but I can almost guarantee that one or two will be left running around outside confused about where mom went. You may have to stick around on the day you let them out to be sure no one gets left out in the cold...mine took a couple days..other then adding a few lower perches it looks just fine...Wish I had one...I use a couple chicken tractors...and portable fences.
if possible I would make the ramp wider and run it right up against the cage wall..so when the chicks get confused about getting back into the coop...you can chase them right along the outside edge of the pen and up the plank.

Back
Top Bottom