Broody Hen Thread!

I am VERY excited and pleased to be able to announce that after 3 years of keeping chickens I have my first broody hen! She's been on her nest for 3 days and nights straight. This is a picture I just took of her sleeping. She has her head tucked under her wing so you can't see it.

I'm planning on moving her tonight to her very own small pen. She's in a box that's 3 feet off the ground...not too good for baby chicks. Plus there are 7 other hens who think they have to lay their eggs in that particular box. There are 2 other nest boxes that are not as desirable I guess :)
I've been reading all the posts and plan on moving her tonight and just pray that she's still on her nest of eggs in the morning. Oh yes, the eggs she's setting are not fertile. There are 2 fake eggs under her, too. So, I'm getting some fertile ones from a friend this weekend to replace the duds with. Should I do this all at once or gradually replace?

I am VERY excited and pleased to be able to announce that after 3 years of keeping chickens I have my first broody hen! She's been on her nest for 3 days and nights straight. This is a picture I just took of her sleeping. She has her head tucked under her wing so you can't see it.

I'm planning on moving her tonight to her very own small pen. She's in a box that's 3 feet off the ground...not too good for baby chicks. Plus there are 7 other hens who think they have to lay their eggs in that particular box. There are 2 other nest boxes that are not as desirable I guess :)
I've been reading all the posts and plan on moving her tonight and just pray that she's still on her nest of eggs in the morning. Oh yes, the eggs she's setting are not fertile. There are 2 fake eggs under her, too. So, I'm getting some fertile ones from a friend this weekend to replace the duds with. Should I do this all at once or gradually replace?

wee.gif
Congratulations!!

I usually just replace them all at once so they all hatch at the same time. I would make sure the eggs are not too cold when you stick them under her.

She is a pretty girl ~ Speckled Sussex?

Last edited:
Thanks for your congrats! I do feel like an expectant mom, in a way :) Thanks for the advice about replacing the eggs. I'll do it all at once and make sure they're not too cold. I'll keep you posted, and yes, she is a speckled sussex and my favorite one.

Hi,
i have a broody bantam sitting on 6 eggs, she has been on them for 16 days, I also have 5 eggs in the incubator on their 16th day, just in case, today my other bantam has gone broody and is sitting on some non fertile eggs, thatbshe has laid, would it be ok to put a couple of the incubator eggs under her and allow her to sit for the remainder of days, or will she be confused by the shortness of time, I really would like her to have some chicks of her own,.....????
any advice would be really great, thanks in advance.

Thanks for your congrats! I do feel like an expectant mom, in a way :) Thanks for the advice about replacing the eggs. I'll do it all at once and make sure they're not too cold. I'll keep you posted, and yes, she is a speckled sussex and my favorite one.

I've never had a Speckled Sussex, but have 5 pullet chicks on order for next month. I can't wait ~ they are so beautiful!

Hi,
i have a broody bantam sitting on 6 eggs, she has been on them for 16 days, I also have 5 eggs in the incubator on their 16th day, just in case, today my other bantam has gone broody and is sitting on some non fertile eggs, thatbshe has laid, would it be ok to put a couple of the incubator eggs under her and allow her to sit for the remainder of days, or will she be confused by the shortness of time, I really would like her to have some chicks of her own,.....????
any advice would be really great, thanks in advance.

I would put some bator eggs under her ~ she will be fine once they hatch. The time difference won't matter. I prefer to let broodies raise chicks as it makes it easier to introduce the chicks to the flock.

Oh goody, I'll just put a couple under and see if she sits firm, i'm really surprised as the weather in the UK is really cold and wet at the moment, usually they turn when its alot warmer,
thanks

Oh....and can two mummy's be in the same pen as each other once the chicks have hatched, I've only ever had one broody, so not sure..

Last edited:
Oh....and can two mummy's be in the same pen as each other once the chicks have hatched, I've only ever had one broody, so not sure..
Yes ~ as long as they are OK with it. I have had 2 broodies sit together on the same nest of 11 eggs ~ hatch all 11 and raise them together. It was fun watching the chicks run back and forth between the 2 moms!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom