Broody Hen Thread!

I set 12 eggs under my broody on Wednesday. When should i candle them? This is my first try.
I never usually candle a broodys eggs as she pretty much has everything under control, just let nature take its course she knows what eggs are good and what aren't, My broody, hatched 3 out of 4 eggs last year, she used to roll the unhatched one around with her whilst tending to the other chicks until it hatched the next day, so clever!!

My Broody is on day 19 I was wondering when should I put ou the chick feeder and chick waterer? Should I have it ready or not put it out til after they hatch? probably doesnt mater either way just looking for opinions.

My Broody is on day 19 I was wondering when should I put ou the chick feeder and chick waterer? Should I have it ready or not put it out til after they hatch? probably doesnt mater either way just looking for opinions.
I put it out after they hatch. That way it doesn't get dirty. Chicks usually stay under Mom for about 2 days before they really need to eat or drink.

I let my broody sit on 6 eggs and she hatched out only one chick a month ago. She is in a converted bunny hutch with that one baby and its about half the size of the others that hatched around the same time in the bator and raised in a brooder.

I'm going to move the brooder babies to a grow out pen soon and was wondering if I should throw the little one in too and let mom go back with the others. She's pacing and antsy and probably done being a mom?

I usually wait until I hear those first few peeps or see a little head poking out from under momma. In most cases my broody hen is in her own pen with food and water already but I typically put the dishes a bit closer and of course add the chick starter for them.

So glad to see all these broody hens. Just an update on my broody hens. The buff hatched 5 out of 5 eggs which was just awesome since it was my first broody hen and my second hen hatched 5 out of 7. I have to admit I am addicted to broody hens and can not imagine another spring without letting my girls hatch some babies. Currently I have one more hen in a broody pen and she is on day 8 after that I hope I am done for a little while. Good luck everyone!
Here is my mama buff out with the babies before the cold weather got here.

My broody cochin is on day 20 and babies are hatching I can hear them faintly peeping and mama is acting different listening cooing and positioning her body different. I cant wait to see the babies poke their tiny heads out from under her. Only 3 eggs, Black Sexlinks, it was her first time so I didnt want to over do it. Hopefully I will have pics soon to come.

Back
Top Bottom