Broody Hen Thread!

my silkie hen went broody yesterday just out of the blue after laying 9 eggs
big_smile.png

Im getting 48 eggs for my incubator from two different places, and i have received about half of them and the other half are coming in a couple of days and i don't want to complicate things by putting the eggs i have in the incubator today because they will be different stages of lock down etc. so what do i do?how do i store they until the other eggs arrive please help thanks.
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png

Store them at room temperature in cartons with the pointy side down. Place a small wedge under the corner of the egg carton to raise one end slightly. Alternate several times during the day.

If you have shipped eggs, you should store anyway for at least 24 hours before setting to reattach air cells.

Lady of McCamley

From what I've read, Silkies will go broody at the drop of a hat, so you have a much better chance of getting one to go broody than I do with my Hamburgs. lol!

Yes! One of my Silkie Hens went broody about 2 weeks ago and she means business! I thinks she also sneaking our others hens eggs into her nest like a ninja. Not really sure what to do about that! Lol!

I've had a silkie and a Shamo go broody at the same time so I've just loaded them up with fertile eggs. I should get some interesting chicks anyway. At least 4 of them are O Shamo x silkie.

Store them at room temperature in cartons with the pointy side down. Place a small wedge under the corner of the egg carton to raise one end slightly. Alternate several times during the day.

If you have shipped eggs, you should store anyway for at least 24 hours before setting to reattach air cells.

Lady of McCamley

Ok thankyou
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom