Broody Hen Thread!

Today is day 7 since my broody hen is laying on the eggs,and she is doing a great job.I separated her from the other girls,so the dont mind her.I dont planing to candling because she is a little flighty and wild,so i dont want to scare her.
And yes,the unlaid egg i was asking about, she laided it,now she is on 12 eggs.
One more question(a bit stupid tho :D ):can the little babis hatch in the straw(actually,its not regular straw,but some dried grass)?That wouldn't mind them?

Had to share some pictures of my mama hen and her babies. She has two and this is her first time. She seems to be doing a great job.

Today is day 7 since my broody hen is laying on the eggs,and she is doing a great job.I separated her from the other girls,so the dont mind her.I dont planing to candling because she is a little flighty and wild,so i dont want to scare her.
One more question(a bit stupid tho :D ):can the little babis hatch in the straw(actually,its not regular straw,but some dried grass)?That wouldn't mind them?

We often use dried grass or hay. Just make sure it is free of any mold or bugs. Both can be found in hay or grasses not dried right.

I actually prefer dried grass (or better yet timothy hay) as the bedding. I put a bottom layer pine shavings down for cushioning, then a layer of timothy hay or dried grass that I buy from the small animal section at the pet store, or even dried, but clean, lawn clippings. The grass makes a great bedding that nestles well for mom and eggs and clings together to prevent eggs from banging down on the hard wood and potentially cracking...something pine shavings alone can allow. Straw can be pretty stiff so that it gets shoved away and hollows out too easily, again letting the eggs bang on the hard wood floor of the broody hutch.

The grass also makes for a good clean up material should mom poo or an egg break. It absorbs the mess and clumps for easy removal especially when it is over a layer of pine shavings.

Lady of McCamley

I
usually just put a layer of pine shavings, and they love it :)

The eggs under my broody are all covered in sticky gunk and she is missing one egg. I am new to this but I think she ate one and made a mess on the others. Today is day 7. Will the gunk kill the others? Should I wipe them off? Leave them? Give her new eggs instead? Thanks for the help!

The eggs under my broody are all covered in sticky gunk and she is missing one egg. I am new to this but I think she ate one and made a mess on the others. Today is day 7. Will the gunk kill the others? Should I wipe them off? Leave them? Give her new eggs instead? Thanks for the help!
I would wipe off the gunk.

Back
Top Bottom