Broody Hen Thread!

This was my 1st broody. I was just meaning that I guess sometimes they don't do it too young.
I had a young hen; just about two dozen eggs into her laying career, go broody last week! General consensus seems to be that she is a Rhode Island Red or RIR mix. Best lil' wanna be a momma, she even lets me check the eggs & pet her fluffed up self, probably because I bring treats to her a couple times a day & gave her all those eggs she's so proud of ;)

My Columbian Rock went broody after the weather turned hot. I read the hormonal thing is in response to temperature...vice versa. I had left eggs, and I put golf balls in..but since I have a bunch of sex links and hybrids I didn't think I would get a broody girl.

*update*
I just snuck 5 eggs under her tonight and she took to all of them. She rolled them with her head and neck all underneath her! I wish I could take out those 2 golf balls though...she still wants to attack my hand though if she sees it so they will have to stay.

Well, I'm new in having chickens and I've had hens now for about 8 months. I've been hoping that one of my hens would become broody, but no, not a one. I even purchased a Silkie in hopes that, that one would become broody, and again nothing. I have 6 hens, a Silkie, a black star, wyandotte, welsummer, Blue Orpington, and a Road Island Red. I think I'm losing my hope it all this Broody stuff. Do you guys think I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

RudyElpollo

You can't create a broody hen, but you can encourage a bird that is predisposed to being broody because of her genetics to do so.

Broodiness can hit from they moment they begin to lay or later in life. Some go broody only once their whole lives, others seasonally, others annoyingly frequently. Some breeds are better known for having the predisposition to brood, but it always boils down to the individual hen.

In my flock I've had broodies at 8 months and at 1 1/2 years. I've had mutts go broody, a buff orpington, 2 black stars, Welsummers, but never my RIR's or Red Stars. And of course my beloved Silkie.

When I first decided I wanted to naturally broody, and because my Orpington didn't go broody again, I purposely located and purchased a proven Silkie momma, and she is my faithful brooder...every 3 to 4 months she broods. Therefore, she is the backbone of my hatching program. I use whoever else is eager and available. This year, the gals that brooded last year haven't brooded this year, but several new pullets (8 months) have.

All that to say, unless you purchase a known momma, it is hard to know if a bird will go broody at all; either way, you can't know when she will do it.

You can however encourage the hormones to kick in by leaving eggs in the nest (the feeling of fullness triggers a spot on their breast that releases hormones), keeping the nest area warm and dark (again helps trigger hormones), and keeping the area calm and quiet (preventing distraction and disruption).

Good luck!
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I have,i have chicks!!! I was counting fast,but i saw 5-6 almost completly dry,and another 2 o3 still hatching
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

I had a hen go broody a few days ago and going to try hatching for first time. She's on golf balls now, and I have seen it is suggested to swap them at night. This is better than swapping when she gets up to eat? Since I am going out of town the first part of June, I am not giving her eggs until next Wednesday so I can be back on the expected hatch day. I am going to move the other 6 chickens to another pen tomorrow so I dont have to worry about any shenanigans from them or food being not available for her while I am gone.

Update! Today is day 23 of shipped eggs under my Dominique broody. I have been starting to get discouraged. Last night I pulled one egg to candle and it started chirping at me. So I put it back under and said I wouldn't pull again for 24 hours. I have checked a million times today and I swear I thought I heard chirping but the other birds outside and my other chickens were making it difficult to hear. So finally I decided I would candle them all to see if I could see any signs of life.

AND I HAVE AN EXTERNAL PIP! And an internal pip!! The other four all look the same. They are almost full, except for the air cell, but no chirping or tapping and I couldn't see them in the air cell.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for these chickies!!

Update! Today is day 23 of shipped eggs under my Dominique broody. I have been starting to get discouraged. Last night I pulled one egg to candle and it started chirping at me. So I put it back under and said I wouldn't pull again for 24 hours. I have checked a million times today and I swear I thought I heard chirping but the other birds outside and my other chickens were making it difficult to hear. So finally I decided I would candle them all to see if I could see any signs of life.

AND I HAVE AN EXTERNAL PIP! And an internal pip!! The other four all look the same. They are almost full, except for the air cell, but no chirping or tapping and I couldn't see them in the air cell.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for these chickies!!
wee.gif
fl.gif

So glad you are having some reward for your patience!

Back
Top Bottom