Broody Hen Thread!

I feel so bad! My broody has already been sitting for 2 weeks!! Cause I ordered her some eggs that were supposed to be shipped earlier this week. but just received an email this morning that the D'uccles have stopped laying. Now I still need eggs! She still seems good and healthy, & the other hens have finally stopped laying in her nest, so gonna look for more eggs and hope she stays healthy!

Help! My broody hen will not leave her nest to eat or drink! I take her out a couple times a day to encourage her but she just sits there and she's been on the eggs for almost a week with no droppings to find! I love her!!! What do I do?

Help! My broody hen will not leave her nest to eat or drink! I take her out a couple times a day to encourage her but she just sits there and she's been on the eggs for almost a week with no droppings to find! I love her!!! What do I do?
Mine was the same way. You can try taking yours out and carrying her into the yard away from the coop. Mine would go out, use the "potty" have a quick dust bath, eat a little, and be back on the nest in 20 - 30 minutes. In the whole time she was broody, mine only left the nest once on her own. I took her out once each day to check the next and allow her to get out. Once she got to day 14 or so I put food and water in her nest box and she ate well. Her eggs hatched just fine.

I feel so bad! My broody has already been sitting for 2 weeks!! Cause I ordered her some eggs that were supposed to be shipped earlier this week. but just received an email this morning that the D'uccles have stopped laying. Now I still need eggs! She still seems good and healthy, & the other hens have finally stopped laying in her nest, so gonna look for more eggs and hope she stays healthy!
Can you find some eggs locally? Check on Craiglist or the BYC form for your state. I had really good luck buying local eggs and hatching them. You'll have a better hatch rate and won't have to pay for shipping.

Mine was the same way.  You can try taking  yours out and carrying her into the yard away from the coop.  Mine would go out, use the "potty" have a quick dust bath, eat a little, and be back on the nest in 20 - 30 minutes.  In the whole time she was broody, mine only left the nest once on her own.  I took her out once each day to check the next and allow her to get out.  Once she got to day 14 or so I put food and water in her nest box and she ate well.  Her eggs hatched just fine.  

Can you find some eggs locally?  Check on Craiglist or the BYC form for your state.  I had really good luck buying local eggs and hatching them.  You'll have a better hatch rate and won't have to pay for shipping.  

Lol. That's exactly what I did! I remembered this lady I had seen advertising hatching eggs that's only 30 min away from me, so I went and got some. Put them under her tonight, now she has 16 eggs!!! If she even hatches 1/2, it'll be my bigger broody hatch ever! I've never gave them more than 5 eggs! Lol

Lol. That's exactly what I did! I remembered this lady I had seen advertising hatching eggs that's only 30 min away from me, so I went and got some. Put them under her tonight, now she has 16 eggs!!! If she even hatches 1/2, it'll be my bigger broody hatch ever! I've never gave them more than 5 eggs! Lol

I did a web search and was amazed at the farmers within 30 miles that were selling hatching eggs and different varieties of chickens.
Have to slam on the brakes so I don't over do it!
caf.gif

I did a web search and was amazed at the farmers within 30 miles that were selling hatching eggs and different varieties of chickens.
Have to slam on the brakes so I don't over do it! :caf

Lol. Well there r lots of things around me, but VERY few with "petting zoo chickens", as most in my area call my chickens. Usually just backyard mixes is about all I can find here. And we have spent LOTS of time & $$ building seperate large runs with coops, on #6 now, to keep from having mixed. Lol

Could someone offer some advice? Some time early yesterday morning my broody hatched her first chick. I have not lifted her to check in the 2nd egg at all for fear of the chick or the egg getting hurt. Yesterday around 3 pm my broody stood up just enough that I could see the other egg. I saw the pip and the chick's beak. I expected to wake up to another chick this morning, but that didn't happen. I am still scared to lift my broody, but I am worried for the chick. What should I do? First time hatching...

Could someone offer some advice? Some time early yesterday morning my broody hatched her first chick. I have not lifted her to check in the 2nd egg at all for fear of the chick or the egg getting hurt. Yesterday around 3 pm my broody stood up just enough that I could see the other egg. I saw the pip and the chick's beak. I expected to wake up to another chick this morning, but that didn't happen. I am still scared to lift my broody, but I am worried for the chick. What should I do? First time hatching...

I moved my hen all around with out problems. She even quit sitting on a late hatcher and I kept putting her back. Poor egg was pipping the whole day and rolling everytime I sat her back on it. I never thought it would hatch. I woke up the next morning to a beautiful chick. :) I did have one that got all the way out of the shell but did not absorb all the yolk and did not make it past it's first day but that was before I was moving her to check on the chicks.

I moved my hen all around with out problems. She even quit sitting on a late hatcher and I kept putting her back. Poor egg was pipping the whole day and rolling everytime I sat her back on it. I never thought it would hatch. I woke up the next morning to a beautiful chick. :) I did have one that got all the way out of the shell but did not absorb all the yolk and did not make it past it's first day but that was before I was moving her to check on the chicks.

Thank you. I checked and the chick is dead :( I think it wasn't strong enough to make it out all the way.

I have a broody Buff Orpington. She discarded all the eggs under her after two weeks and wouldn't leave the nest afterwards! I bred some more hatching eggs for her. The question is, will she sit on them the entire time or will I have to make an incubator? My fertile hen has been fertile for three days now and is currently laying her second fertile egg. I don't know if it is healthy to start over with my already broody girl since she has been broody for over three weeks now. Suggestions? Here she is.

Back
Top Bottom