Broody Hen Thread!

I am so upset. My silkie he thatn someone gave to me killed and ate (one by one) the three chicks that hatched under her yesterday. There is no way anyone else could get in or she could get out so she's clearly the cannibal. She's also a bossy boots who doesnt lay eggs, so I guess it's time to say bon voyage. She's my first silkie and I was excited when she finally wenr broody even though it was Septemer in NY. I ordered 12 bantam EE from My Pet Chicken, based upon what could show up soonest to put under her, as I am a COMPLETE sap, 2 weeks go by....no eggs...then after I cancel the shipment, they show up. So 2 weeks before the eggs appear then 3 more weeks, THEN she kills them when they hatch.

I am so upset. My silkie he thatn someone gave to me killed and ate (one by one) the three chicks that hatched under her yesterday. There is no way anyone else could get in or she could get out so she's clearly the cannibal. She's also a bossy boots who doesnt lay eggs, so I guess it's time to say bon voyage. She's my first silkie and I was excited when she finally wenr broody even though it was Septemer in NY. I ordered 12 bantam EE from My Pet Chicken, based upon what could show up soonest to put under her, as I am a COMPLETE sap, 2 weeks go by....no eggs...then after I cancel the shipment, they show up. So 2 weeks before the eggs appear then 3 more weeks, THEN she kills them when they hatch.

this will happen unfortunately. I always try to keep the closest eye if I let my hens have their chicks after they hatch them. Sorry for your loss. is this her first brood? If so she may be young yet. you can always let her have another brood in 6 mths and take the chicks away as they hatch but after they are dry, put them under a heat lamp and you'll be fine. I would suggest you let her brood again. stay
with her as soon as chicks hatch and raise them yourself. I find raising the chicks myself make the much better chickens hand raised. mind you I have the space to do that.

Such a good mommy!!!

Could it be a rat or something like that? Maybe even a snake? Was there anything left of the chicks?

Last edited:
My broody and her two chicks are still sleeping in the nest box, and it is making for a mess! I think she wants to take them to roost, but the other hens are pecking the chicks on the roost, so she takes them back in the box. The chicks are just over four weeks old, and are ready to roost, but the big girls aren't making it easy for them. They don't mess with the chicks during the day, but night is a different story. Honestly, there isn't enough room on the roost for all seven of them. While they physically fit, it is pretty tight quarters. The coop was designed originally for four-five birds, but I could maybe add another roost in a pinch. A smaller coop isn't that big of a deal here. I live in Florida, and the girls are never inside unless they are sleeping or laying their eggs, but I don't want to be cramming them into a tiny house. I do have plans to make a larger coop soon, I have a wooden playhouse that I'm going to convert as soon as I can get it to my house from my friends place. I guess I will just have to deal with a dirty nest box until then, because I don't think she will take them to roost with the older hens picking on them.

I know what you mean! My broody raised chicks are still going in the nest box to sleep, and they are 11 weeks. I put them on the roost and by the time I turn the light off in the coop they are back perching on the edge of the nest box, pooping all over the bedding. It is so frustrating. The chicks I bought that were raised inside are roosting much better than the broody raised ones. Go figure!

Yeah, my other broody momma always took her chicks up by two to three weeks. I think there just isn't enough space on the roost, maybe I will add another roost bar temporarily until we convert to the larger coop. At eleven weeks, your chicks must take up the whole nest box! Silly chickens.

Back
Top Bottom