Broody Hen Thread!

I think one of my hens went broody. She is in the nest right now, and I only collected 4 eggs today. I've been collecting 6 to 11 eggs a day. I've never seen a hen in the nesting box at night, so I think she's trying to set eggs. I'll know for sure if I find her there tomorrow. Don't know how many are under her, either. If she does hatch some out, I'd have to pull them out and brood them separate for fear that they'd fall out of the raised coop. (3' high) Is there a safe way to maybe move the mom and unhatched eggs to another area, or will that just mess things up?
Sometimes when I move them it messes things up. Only do the moving at night, you have a much better chance of it working. I had to trash some eggs that were a week along because my Jersey Giant just left them after I tried to move her. She wouldnt even sit on them anymore. I think every situation is different. Take a picture of your set up and we can try and help you.
Marie

One of our 30 week old Dark Cornish girls was in a nesting box at sundown and wouldn't leave, she was fluffed out and really grumpy looking. There are eggs under her from the days lay (6-8, I didn't count all).

When we tried to move her she hissed and spit and growled and just flattened herself out over the eggs even more. I just wonder if she is too young to be seriously broody. I know DC do tend to be broody, or at least that's what I've read. We have 13 of them and this is our first experience with a potential broody. I don't mind if she wants to hatch, we have a Cuckoo Marans roo in the flock, so the eggs are probably fertilized. I just wonder if she's serious...

30 weeks is 7 1/2 months old...a hen is sexually mature (laying eggs) around 4 to 5 months old...so no, she is not too young to go broody.

Only time will tell how serious she is, ie whether she will stay the course for 21 days...but Dark Cornish make good broodies so she likely has the genetics.

Leave her and see what happens.
smile.png

LofMc

We're been waiting for a broody for a couple of months now. Finally have everything in place and I picked up my fertile eggs today and stuck them all next to her. 1 minute later she had scooted them all underneath and was fluffed up and wanting to be left alone. So far she seems to be sitting tight on the nest and I hope this continues. I too am contemplating how to move her without ruining things. My plan is to put a pet carrier in the coop on the floor. The current nest box that she's hogging is not a good place for chicks (1.5 feet up off the floor). I'm curious what would happen if I moved her and the eggs down into the carrier just after nightfall, and then shut the door on her so she can't leave for like.. 24 hours maybe? My only concern with this is that she would get frantic and damage her brood. Open to suggestions.

You've already put purchased eggs under her, as I understand it. (I see some lovely dark Marans or Welsummer or Penedesenca, an Olive Egger, and Ameraucana or Isbar or Cream Crested Legbar in that bunch...nice eggs you don't want to risk..those come about $3.50 to $5 an egg in my neighborhood). You don't want to risk those nice purchased eggs.

Personally, as long as this original spot is a secluded place to brood that others are not trying to get into, I'd let her brood where she is rather than risk any potential harm to those purchased eggs which can happen with a move if the hen panics and tries to get back to her original spot...eggs can get tromped on and broken. Or the move breaks her brood (that can happen). When she goes into lock down the last 2 days, you can put a little screen over the entrance for the hatching so no chick will fall out. Then when all are hatched, it is very easy to move momma and chicks to a preferred location. That's assuming she is really attached to that location and she won't confuse it with another and others won't disturb her in it. EDITED TO ADD: Another thought, 1 and 1/2 feet isn't that much either...you could build a little ramp for the chicks to get up to it and a little platform so that they can't roll and fall out.

If you really need to move her from the current location, I would put those purchased eggs into an incubator and move her at night with fake eggs to your desired location, which will have to be blocked off from her original...she shouldn't be able to see her original either or at some point she will likely try to switch nests...usually after you've thought she is fine and put those nice eggs back under her. After she has settled into the new nest and stuck like glue for a day or two, THEN replace the fake eggs with those purchased eggs out of the incubator.

Anyway, that's what I would do. I highly recommend to always settle the bird first with fake eggs THEN place any fertile eggs especially if they are special or purchased.

LofMc

Last edited:
I think one of my hens went broody. She is in the nest right now, and I only collected 4 eggs today. I've been collecting 6 to 11 eggs a day. I've never seen a hen in the nesting box at night, so I think she's trying to set eggs. I'll know for sure if I find her there tomorrow. Don't know how many are under her, either. If she does hatch some out, I'd have to pull them out and brood them separate for fear that they'd fall out of the raised coop. (3' high) Is there a safe way to maybe move the mom and unhatched eggs to another area, or will that just mess things up?

If they are not particularly valuable eggs, and you don't mind the risk, you can attempt a move with her at night. You'll have to be sure she can't see or get back to the original nest. Since they are your farm eggs, and not purchased or special eggs, you can use these first as the "dud" eggs in case she takes a day or two to resettle, then replace those eggs with a fresh batch set all the same time once she does settle in your preferred location.

The other option is to build a make shift veranda where she is so that the chicks can't fall out but she can get out. You can do that the last 2 days during lock down, and then move the chicks and her after they've all hatched. It is very easy to move a momma and chicks after they've hatched to pretty much anywhere you want to put them.

LofMc

I'm designing a new brooding pen along side of the layer pen just for a couple serious broodies to live full time. Should I make the nesting boxes on the ground or up 1.5 feet like the rest to make it easier on myself to check everything? Assuming eggs will still need to be collected when hens are not being broody.

Bit of an odd question, is there any significant risk to an egg moving it out from under a hen to an incubator late term? I wouldn't think there would be, provided the egg is just going from healthy environment to healthy environment, but I figured I'd ask around for experience. This is my (and my hen's) first time hatching babies naturally!

Last night was day 14 candle, and all her eggs are still going, but one was cooler to the touch. I don't think she's had it arranged properly, as while the embryo was very active they were much smaller development wise. She's a LF cochin and only has 5 eggs, so I know she isn't over burdened, but I suspect this one frequently gets left a little too cool. Come day 18 candle if it is still alive, I plan to move it to the incubator.. I want to give her a chance with it, but I do not doubt it would be a late hatcher and best moved for that at least.

There won't be a problem from going from mama to incubator. I've done it before and have healthy chicks that arrived on time. Also maybe arrange the egg so it's n middle of the five. Mark that egg so you can keep an eye in it. But it's fine to take that egg or more to inc and chick will be good
1f423.png

Gorgeous! I hope all works out for you and them! :)

Thank you!

My broody has an assistant now. I have two ladies brooding one clutch and I think I am going to let them co-parent and see how that works. They both really want to be mamas. I have a third in another nest box who is about to meet the broody buster. She is not quite as diligent as the other two.

Today is day 8. We have been gone a couple days but my chicken sitter did a nice job and no one was disturbed when we got home. I am candling tonight when I tuck them in to see how we are doing.
fl.gif

If they are not particularly valuable eggs, and you don't mind the risk, you can attempt a move with her at night. You'll have to be sure she can't see or get back to the original nest. Since they are your farm eggs, and not purchased or special eggs, you can use these first as the "dud" eggs in case she takes a day or two to resettle, then replace those eggs with a fresh batch set all the same time once she does settle in your preferred location.

The other option is to build a make shift veranda where she is so that the chicks can't fall out but she can get out. You can do that the last 2 days during lock down, and then move the chicks and her after they've all hatched. It is very easy to move a momma and chicks after they've hatched to pretty much anywhere you want to put them.

LofMc

Sometimes when I move them it messes things up. Only do the moving at night, you have a much better chance of it working. I had to trash some eggs that were a week along because my Jersey Giant just left them after I tried to move her. She wouldnt even sit on them anymore. I think every situation is different. Take a picture of your set up and we can try and help you.
Marie

Thanks for all the info y'all. I moved her today when I got off work with minimal fuss. She was setting 5 eggs. I quickly marked them with an x in pencil. We will see if she returns. Off of all of the responses I got, I think I'm just going to leave her be, and make sure she is not adding additional eggs. If she hatches any out, then I will move them to my brooder. I have eggs in the incubator, which are about 11 days apart, so maybe I could put them together, and she can help them all integrate into the established flock. Thanks again for all of the info. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom