Broody Hen Thread!

Definitely don't take the babies away from her! She will keep them warm (and she earned those chicks).

Mama hens are the experts at raising little ones, you will be amazed to see how fast the chicks progress compared to those kept in a brooder. The babies are also so very quiet and content when sleeping under a real live hen.

Thank-You so much for your advice. What your telling me is what I am experiencing. She is just a pullet I got this winter and seems to know what she is doing.
I put a nice box out where she is and maybe she will go in with chicks this P/M. It started raining again.I hope when the chicks are ready she will return to the pen/coop. There are 6 but I couldn't get all in pics- some always hiding.

On day 16 there are only 4 of the original 12 eggs. First time candling; 1 egg almost black with an air sack, movement, and sharp outline of feathers?, the second was as dark with an air sack but seemed to be blurrier, the 3rd had blood vessels but a small embryo, the last looked like a 'quitter' small burry dark spot no blood vessels.

Since it looks like only 1 or 2 are viable at this point would it be best to add some purchased chicks (time to arrive on the hatch day)? It would be depressing to see her with only 1 chick and having none would be even worse. Socially would it be better for the chicks to have others their own age?

Day 20 and most of the eggs have hatched. Mom is showing her chicks how to eat some apple.

On day 16 there are only 4 of the original 12 eggs. First time candling; 1 egg almost black with an air sack, movement, and sharp outline of feathers?, the second was as dark with an air sack but seemed to be blurrier, the 3rd had blood vessels but a small embryo, the last looked like a 'quitter' small burry dark spot no blood vessels.

Since it looks like only 1 or 2 are viable at this point would it be best to add some purchased chicks (time to arrive on the hatch day)? It would be depressing to see her with only 1 chick and having none would be even worse. Socially would it be better for the chicks to have others their own age?
My silkie hatched only one the other two died so I got her two chicks they r one big happy family now

thank you I am also thinking to putting all the eggs under her. I am moving her today
to a her own pen for safety of chic's and my other hens. today is day 18 for my Bator,
.it seems my Bator eggs always seem to hatch a day late anyway.lol and then keep a close eye on the hatch.
jumpy.gif
I am candling tonight then lock down either way?

I have a question, my frizzle cochin lost all but one egg she is due today/ tomorrow . I candled the last one and it is not alive
1f630.png
she's been sitting strong!

No one in this area including tractor stores are selling babies. I have a bantam that hatched last Sunday from the incubator , is this to old to graft ? I'm not sure what else to do I can't have her sit another 21 days if I pump up incubator.
Any suggestions?

I just read higher up on the thread that the hens don't like it if chicks hatch too quickly?

My broody went broody while I had eggs incubating that were 10 days. At day 11 I put eggs under her.

Does she go homocidal if they hatch earlier than her internal clock?

Back
Top Bottom