Broody Hen Thread!

Thanks very much I will defiantly keep looking, do you think it's worth trying it with the hen or not?

Ok, it's me. I'm not a quitter. Dum Spira Spera....or something. Where there is life there is hope. If it were me...

I would figure out who might watch the incubator. Someone with kids would love the opportunity. (If a stranger knocked on my door and asked us to watch this chick hatch, OMG, YES!) Hey that makes me think, take it to a school...they do it all the time.

Neighbors, friends, family... give them a list of very simple instructions. The baby will only be alone for a little. I don't think it will be seriously damaged forever. - Battery hens who have had a life of horrors, recover to close to normal when in normal conditions for just a couple of days (Secret Life of Chickens)

If you want the chick to have the best chance at this point, Skip the hen, to iffy.

Hey, you know that's just what I would do. I would take the option with the best odds.

All will work out, one way or another. Take care of yourself and your upcoming operation. So you can get right back to taking care of the chooks.

:)

Okay, I have success! I did what was suggested here, and put the dog crate in the corner of the coop. I built a nestbox out of a rubbermaid tub by ziptying the lid to it and cutting a rounded hole. I placed food and water in the crate. I moved the broody at night onto golf balls. I let her set 2-3 days undisturbed to be sure she would set. Then I put (too many) 12 eggs under her.
I checked on her every evening when I fed the chickens, lifting her up to check the eggs, but I never candled them.
Sunday I put 1/4" hardware cloth around the bottom of the dog crate for safety, and slid a thick sheet of cardboard under the crate for a floor, then spread fresh flake shavings and cleaned out the feeder and waterer and replaced.

Yesterday, we had 3 external pips!
big_smile.png

Today...we have 8 chicks and 3 zippered eggs under her and she is sitting tight!
celebrate.gif

She is sweet and clucky and lets me handle her...I THINK I HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Proud mama!

(Now she gives me the stink-eye!)

I am so happy, and so thankful for everyone here on BYC! Even though I have been raising chickens for 30+ years, I am learning how to do so many things so much better than just trying to flog through on my own. So glad to have found you all. Thanks for everything and I will keep on reading and sharing! Thanks for being here.
thumbsup.gif

Ok, I am a bit confused. I have a broody buff. She was sitting on a couple eggs and continued to lay until there were about 11. She continued to stay on the nest while she continued to lay. Could this be a result of why I had one to hatch on Thursday and 3 more on Friday evening or early Saturday? I went out to check on her this morning and to discard any eggs that hasn't hatched(because I figure time is up). She is still sitting tight on the nest. I removed her and started to gather the eggs, The first one that I picked up has a little pip. I listened to see if I could hear anything and didn't and thought to myself that there is no way any of those eggs could be viable. So I go to pick up another egg and exam it for any pips and there is nothing. I thought I herd something so I put it against my hear and I can hear a little chirp. I thought there is no way, but I put the two eggs back in the nest and she is sitting tight again. I guess she could tell that there is still life there. So my question is: Is this normal? The first chick that hatched is 5 days old as of today.

Ok, I am a bit confused. I have a broody buff. She was sitting on a couple eggs and continued to lay until there were about 11. She continued to stay on the nest while she continued to lay. Could this be a result of why I had one to hatch on Thursday and 3 more on Friday evening or early Saturday? I went out to check on her this morning and to discard any eggs that hasn't hatched(because I figure time is up). She is still sitting tight on the nest. I removed her and started to gather the eggs, The first one that I picked up has a little pip. I listened to see if I could hear anything and didn't and thought to myself that there is no way any of those eggs could be viable. So I go to pick up another egg and exam it for any pips and there is nothing. I thought I herd something so I put it against my hear and I can hear a little chirp. I thought there is no way, but I put the two eggs back in the nest and she is sitting tight again. I guess she could tell that there is still life there. So my question is: Is this normal? The first chick that hatched is 5 days old as of today.

Are you sure it was her laying the other eggs and not other hens sneaking onto her nest? But either way, yes, if she was already sitting tight and new eggs were being added those will hatch later. Since she is continuing to stay with those eggs i would make sure the older chicks have access to chick starter and water. The absorbed yolk won't hold them that long.

It is very possible, in fact it is most likely that there are still viable eggs since what you describe is what is known as a 'staggered hatch'. The issues are that the late hatchers often have trouble keeping up with the early hatchers and the mama hen usually will get off of the nest to find food and water for the early hatchers and the late chicks (or eggs) are left behind and can die if the mother doesn't return to warm them.
Watch closely to see if she suddenly abandons the nest you may have to get the eggs and move them to an incubator or other similar box to keep them warm.
In the future it would be better to take away her eggs daily as she begins to set and then give them back to her as a whole clutch (already marked) so that they all begin developing at the same time. Most hens will gather their clutch over a few days or more but not settle in on it until they have enough to make them happy, your hen just did things a bit different.

Are you sure it was her laying the other eggs and not other hens sneaking onto her nest? But either way, yes, if she was already sitting tight and new eggs were being added those will hatch later. Since she is continuing to stay with those eggs i would make sure the older chicks have access to chick starter and water. The absorbed yolk won't hold them that long.
The older ones do have access to food and water and I have watched momma show them.

It is very possible, in fact it is most likely that there are still viable eggs since what you describe is what is known as a 'staggered hatch'. The issues are that the late hatchers often have trouble keeping up with the early hatchers and the mama hen usually will get off of the nest to find food and water for the early hatchers and the late chicks (or eggs) are left behind and can die if the mother doesn't return to warm them.
Watch closely to see if she suddenly abandons the nest you may have to get the eggs and move them to an incubator or other similar box to keep them warm.
In the future it would be better to take away her eggs daily as she begins to set and then give them back to her as a whole clutch (already marked) so that they all begin developing at the same time. Most hens will gather their clutch over a few days or more but not settle in on it until they have enough to make them happy, your hen just did things a bit different

Thanks, she is a first time broody :)

Marnette, What makes you think it was her that layed the other eggs?? Its possible but not likely----when a hen goes broody-----staying on the nest, she stops laying----other hens lay in her nest----even if she is staying in it. As said----this creates a staggered hatch----which is not a good thing---creates alot of problems for her and you. Staggered hatches can be prevented, by collecting the eggs daily from EVERY nest---even if it has a hen in the nest. If there is a hen in a nest wanting to go broody----if you want her to hatch some eggs----You collect a clutch of eggs for her-----you clearly mark them, put them under her----then DAILY you look under her and remove any egg that is not marked-----then she will hatch all the "good" eggs usually within 24 hrs of each other----then life is simplier!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom