Broody Hen Thread!

Yay! I saved my maran and she is still my favorite ;) she was all but dead on arrival and I hand fed her and held her to keep her warm until she started acting normal. You would never know now!

We have a pip over here! My impatience got the best of me and I did candle again last night and saw 3 or 4 had broken through the air sac so I figured today was the day. Went out this morning to number the eggs and low and behold a pip! Mama has been pretty good about me messing with her eggs until now but she did seem a little more edgy this morning so I am going to try to leave her alone now. I put a small barrier up around her to try to keep the other hens away for now

My bra chick has hatched!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

The past hour it's been breaking through the shell really fast. It zipped all the way round then i took it out my bra for the final push and it hatched on a towel in my lap. I'm sitting here with it wrapped up, it's tweeting away and trying to get up. Looks strong and healthy. And it's got pretty markings like the other 2 which are from my Italian crosses. I knew it was worth saving. Now just hope it's a girl! lol Maybe if it's male we can keep it anyway, our rooster just now is pure evil! lol So i wouldn't mind replacing him.....
Yay!

The past hour it's been breaking through the shell really fast. It zipped all the way round then i took it out my bra for the final push and it hatched on a towel in my lap. I'm sitting here with it wrapped up, it's tweeting away and trying to get up. Looks strong and healthy. And it's got pretty markings like the other 2 which are from my Italian crosses. I knew it was worth saving. Now just hope it's a girl! lol Maybe if it's male we can keep it anyway, our rooster just now is pure evil! lol So i wouldn't mind replacing him.....
Cool!! Have you put it back with the mama?

I grafted 4 12 hour old cream legbar chicks onto my pekin bantam broody on sunday night, here they are today on their very first outing with their mum Millie! This is the first time i have grafted chicks onto a broody and im delighted with how it has turned out
lol.png

wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Wonderful! Glad you saved your little one and it turned out to be pretty as well.
smile.png

Thank you so much for keeping us posted so we could follow along on your amazing journey!

Well today since my Sex link hen insists on sitting on eggs, I left 4 eggs and marked them.Will see how it does. I had bought it from our Local farmers store, not sure if they get their stock from hatcheries or from local farmers.

Chick #1 has still not hatched completely! Almost there. Have 3 more that have pipped and 1 that was noisy with no pip yet. No noticeable action from the other 3. Obviously I am not much of a hands off hatcher but so far so good ;) I am so excited. Chick #1 looks to be yellow, obviously I cannot see her entirely yet and she is wet but I am surprised. Her mom is my black/orange easter egger who was a pretty dark chick...so baby may take after buff orpington dad, legs and beak are also light colored, unless green develops with time in the legs, I thought it was there from the start with my ee's.

Back
Top Bottom