Broody Hen Thread!

Hi! I have a silkie that has hatched at least one of three eggs. My other two hens have spent nights in the nesting box with her several nights. Now with the chicks hatching I have my 2 other hens over looking her. Is this normal? I think they all want to be the momma! I know when the silkie has been off her nest she bosses the 2 hens around. Do I remove the 2 hens are let them stay in the coop with them? My chickens are free ranging during the day and lock up at night. Advice???????

Very cute...mine hatch within the coop/flock, but I know my flock is good with chicks. What I do for new broodies though is give them a couple of days with the chicks in a more private area, just separated by chicken wire. If your flock is small and you have time you can supervise her for a while to see how she reacts to nosey flock members and how they behave toward the chicks. Brooding within a flock can greatly simplify many things but it comes with real risks, so you have to decide how you want to proceed based on how well you know your birds and what risk level you can accept.

What I do for new broodies though is give them a couple of days with the chicks in a more private area, just separated by chicken wire. If your flock is small and you have time you can supervise her for a while to see how she reacts to nosey flock members and how they behave toward the chicks. Brooding within a flock can greatly simplify many things but it comes with real risks, so you have to decide how you want to proceed based on how well you know your birds and what risk level you can accept.

I do exactly the same thing, separate the broody/chicks in the coop for a few days after hatch to make sure the babies are able to keep up with mama and ensure that the little family is doing well. The first 2-3 days I would worry about a baby getting separated from the hen and dying from the cold, that also applies the first couple of nights. If a baby somehow gets out of the nest area and can't get back in they will freeze.

My small flock was a bit unsure about the first clutch of chicks. The rooster even investigated and "tossed" the chicks a couple of times (no injuries). But they all relaxed and the next two clutches were much better, the rooster and all of the hens just made way for the broody and chicks. They take new chicks in stride now.

Plus the broodys themselves calm down and that helps a lot, my first broody bantam wanted to kill everything that came within 6 feet of the chicks, she has raised two clutches since then and she is much calmer now. She feels confident that her and the chicks have a respected place in the flock so she doesn't need to be hyper-aggressive towards everyone else.

Last edited:
I do exactly the same thing, separate the broody/chicks in the coop for a few days after hatch to make sure the babies are able to keep up with mama and ensure that the little family is doing well. The first 2-3 days I would worry about a baby getting separated from the hen and dying from the cold, that also applies the first couple of nights. If a baby somehow gets out of the nest area and can't get back in they will freeze.

My small flock was a bit unsure about the first clutch of chicks. The rooster even investigated and "tossed" the chicks a couple of times (no injuries). But they all relaxed and the next two clutches were much better, the rooster and all of the hens just made way for the broody and chicks. They take new chicks in stride now.

Plus the broodys themselves calm down and that helps a lot, my first broody bantam wanted to kill everything that came within 6 feet of the chicks, she has raised two clutches since then and she is much calmer now. She feels confident that her and the chicks have a respected place in the flock so she doesn't need to be hyper-aggressive towards everyone else.
That has been my experience, too. The first clutch had a more difficult time integrating with the flock, but after that, the broodies knew more what to do, and the other chickens were pretty ho-hum about the new chicks.

I move my broodies to a separate hoop coop for the hatch at about day 19, and they are alone for a few days, but after about 3 days, the broodies take the babies out in the yard with the rest of the flock and are they are left alone for the most part. It has been pretty easy (knock wood) over the last couple of years.

My first-time broodies have been in a separate small run with the chicks since they hatched 2 weeks ago. I was nervous about letting them mix with the rest of the flock because a couple of my other hens can be aggressive. My broodies are not aggressive at all, and I was concerned that they might not protect the chicks. Yesterday the broodies & chicks escaped from the run, though, and got out into the yard with the other hens.

I was happy to find that the other hens ignored the chicks completely! There were no problems at all & the broodies & chicks stayed out all day with the flock. If any of the chicks are female it will be awesome because they will already be integrated with the flock.

Questions from a new chicken owner. My 27 week EE pullet Clover is showing a few signs of being broody but is not consistent. First I found downy feathers in the nest. She sat on eggs for a day, has refused to go out in the yard or to get off the nest to forage for veggies they get in the morning. She growled at me and puffed up her feathers when I grabbed eggs from under her or even whenI tried to give her a treat while she was on the nest. She has roosted some nights based on droppings. (Ionly have 3 chickens). Sitting on the nest and refusing to go out at times have been going on intermittently for about five days.

Today she waited for about 3-4 minutes before getting off the nest to grab shredded carrots. But she was in the run a few hours later and spent 5 hours outside, so I thought all was well But when the other two returned to the coop to roost, she went to sit on an empty nest. Yesterday when she returned to the coop, she also went to sit on the nest. But the eggs were cold so she isn't sitting on them regularly.

Is it okay to block the nest box at night? I only have one other pullet laying. Would that help? I thought I would give Clover some eggs to hatch but she doesn't sound ready. Is this something that happens- some signs of bloodiness but not ready to sit on eggs? Clover BTW is still laying. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for any insight. I'm confused by her behavior!

Last edited:
Questions from a new chicken owner. My 27 week EE pullet Clover is showing a few signs of being broody but is not consistent. First I found downy feathers in the nest. She sat on eggs for a day, has refused to go out in the yard or to get off the nest to forage for veggies they get in the morning. She growled at me and puffed up her feathers when I grabbed eggs from under her or even whenI tried to give her a treat while she was on the nest. She has roosted some nights based on droppings. (Ionly have 3 chickens). Sitting on the nest and refusing to go out at times have been going on intermittently for about five days.

Today she waited for about 3-4 minutes before getting off the nest to grab shredded carrots. But she was in the run a few hours later and spent 5 hours outside, so I thought all was well But when the other two returned to the coop to roost, she went to sit on an empty nest. Yesterday when she returned to the coop, she also went to sit on the nest. But the eggs were cold so she isn't sitting on them regularly.

Is it okay to block the nest box at night? I only have one other pullet laying. Would that help? I thought I would give Clover some eggs to hatch but she doesn't sound ready. Is this something that happens- some signs of bloodiness but not ready to sit on eggs? Clover BTW is still laying. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for any insight. I'm confused by her behavior!

I agree it sounds like she isn't ready, you can block the nest at night or pull her off each time you see her in. Using any standard 'broody breaking' methods is also something you could consider, and you can find many opinions and methods by doing a search on 'breaking a broody'.

I agree it sounds like she isn't ready, you can block the nest at night or pull her off each time you see her in. Using any standard 'broody breaking' methods is also something you could consider, and you can find many opinions and methods by doing a search on 'breaking a broody'.

Can a chicken who isn't quite broody just fall out of it? My girl has been outside today for five hours. How long can eggs be left unattended and still be viable?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom