Broody Hen Thread!

Anybody knows how long can a broody hen wait before I put eggs under her? I've got 2 Wyandottes at the moment sitting one on top of the other (literally!), who seem to be serious about going broody. I want to get some Barnevelder eggs, but as there are no sellers anywhere close to me, a friend who plans to visit us some time soon promised he would get some. Problem is, he is not sure when he will be ready to travel. It might be in 5 days, or 10, or more. Any experience with delaying setting the eggs?

I could put the eggs into the incubator, but during those 3 weeks I would have to make at least two 2-day work-related trips. I could bring the incubator with me (actually I did that last year and it worked fine) but this is stressful and time-consuming so I would much rather give those hens some work.

You should be okay with delaying her getting eggs for 5-10 days, perhaps even more depending on how persistent she is about being broody. In the meantime, it would be best to find something to put under her (fake eggs left over from Easter or the craft store, golf balls, etc. I've even used rounded rocks in a bind), set her up in a broody pen, and disturb her as little as possible..

My polish hen has gone broody she is on at least 13 eggs all polish. She has a very large deep nest 4" deep. She covers every single one. She is the broodiest hen we have had. She will be put in a different nest to take out the bad eggs and she fights me for the nest. Her color ia Blue splash not the white splash.

Quote:
My hens tend to kick out plastic or empty eggs... I'm thinking of blowing some out and filling the shells with silicone, for weight . :)

4 EE hatched 2 more I'm so EGGCITED!

Down to two eggs for my little d'uccle. They are due to hatch the 21 if all goes well. She also seems to have recruited a friend to sit with her.
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Rubynala...did you miss above questions on bedding? Have you figured out the cause of the pasty butt with your little ones?

Yes, I did miss it. Sorry, I've come down with something and have not been on the Internet. I did check the chicks and 3/3 had pasty butt! Just like my last (first) broody. With the first I assumed it was because they were eating not only chick starter but also grower and scratch. So this time I've given them nothing but medicated chick starter. And a little electrolytes in their water. The bedding is fresh pine wood chips. I cleaned the whole area before I set it up for her. They are in my laundry room/basement. I set up one of those big circular metal gates that I used to use for rabbits & Guinea pigs outside. Laid down some cardboard, newspaper and then piled up wood chips on half. It's been good because they are right on the floor so they can sneak out from under mom and access food and water and slip right back under her. So far mom has been sitting on them a lot but I've also caught them eating and drinking. I was able to snatch them all up, clean their butts, blow dry them and put them back with mom, yesterday. Guess I should check on them again today. I have had a few cases of pasty butt with eggs I hatch but nothing serious. So I guess I will do some research on pasty butt now. I just thought with their mom I would not have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom