Broody Hen Thread!

Well I received my Serma eggs yesterday....set them in an egg carton over night...broody cage is complete...Will be picking out the broody when I get home....and transfer her to the cage...give her a few fake eggs and see how she settles in...if things are looking good, she seems comfortable I'm going to give her the eggs...and start the count down! First year for both girls....but they both have a Silkie for a dad so hopefully it will just come naturally...cross my fingers and trust in old mother nature!

Keep in mind that serama eggs may hatch in less than 21 days. Mine consistently hatch in 19 days under a broody.

This is my first broody girl!! I gave her 2 silkie and a silkie Polish egg she is still in with the rest of the flock should I move her now or after the chicks hatch?? She has been on them about 5 ish days now

They are the most protective mother ever.  They will not let you get them off to collect new eggs either.  They are the best broodies i have had.  2 polish already have chicks and 1 started sunday.  they are also breed to pure polish also.  

I'll keep my fingers crossed for mine..lol..
The oldest is just about a year old, so maybe there's hope. How old were yours when they first started going broody? I keep Silkies and OEGB just for broodies, but it would be lovely to see at least one of my polish girls attempt it

This is my first broody girl!! I gave her 2 silkie and a silkie Polish egg she is still in with the rest of the flock should I move her now or after the chicks hatch?? She has been on them about 5 ish days now

Unless the hen is being disturbed there isn't a reason to move her, and, depending on flock dynamics, the hen and chicks can be left with the flock. I pull new hen and chicks just for a couple of days. Then when I'm sure all are doing well I put them back with the flock.

I'd separate her sooner rather than later ..your other girls could get in, start a fight, break eggs, upset her so much she gives up, etc. I always move mine before I give them the eggs I want them to hatch. Move over night so she's least likely to quit on you

I do the grinding. I worry to much, maybe, about moist food going sour/moldy.

Yeah, probably should have stated I do this 150 tines a day..lol.. I only moisten what they eat in a couple hour span and then refill when empty with freshly mixed. It also seriously reduces them playing in the food and slinging it everywhere. .but to do it this way, someone would pretty much have to be around all day to refill when they were out.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for mine..lol..
The oldest is just about a year old, so maybe there's hope. How old were yours when they first started going broody? I keep Silkies and OEGB just for broodies, but it would be lovely to see at least one of my polish girls attempt it
They were just 1 year and that was April 23, 2015 so very young mothers but such a strong instinct with them. One actually start at the beginning of April. The second one stole hers so the first one had to start a new nest. They are so good at mother hood(or at least mine are). The other strange thing is that they are hatchery stock. Like wow. I would have never expected it. Not only are they not suppose to but they were hatchery stock. I guess maybe it is how they are raised or how many other broodies there are. I never thought any of them would go broody. One gave me a hint. A month before she went while she would lay eggs she would puff out big and mean just like a broody. This seems to be a positive sign for motherhood.

Back
Top Bottom