Broody Hen Thread!

Now I have 11 setting hens two of them are on the same nest can not separate them tried for a month straight last year one or the other would move so that they were together again they don't glare at each other when one gets off the nest and then back on the other just gives that soft clucking sound they usually talk to their chicks with then the other takes a break when the second hen gets back on the nest they both stand up rearrange the eggs and settle down on the eggs pulling them in under them so might as well leave them alone

Thanks and no worries I have you down once I get back from the Caribbean turkey eggs will be going back into the incubator and as soon as they hatch for me a dozen will be on the way to you.
Terrific. I have three large bantam cross pullets that will be broody by then (a month to six weeks? Or should I plan for beyond that?). They should be able to handle the dozen turkey eggs easily. When are you leaving for the Caribbean?

I leave on Feb 8th I will be back on the 22nd add 6 days to gather half a dozen stick them in the incubator and candle them so would guess by March 10th or so I will know. Once I have seen the development I will gather a dozen eggs and be sending them on their way to you. Or if that will be too long wait for you then may I suggest you pm chicken danz on here as she is who I got my turkey from and may have eggs already.

Now I have 11 setting hens two of them are on the same nest can not separate them tried for a month straight last year one or the other would move so that they were together again they don't glare at each other when one gets off the nest and then back on the other just gives that soft clucking sound they usually talk to their chicks with then the other takes a break when the second hen gets back on the nest they both stand up rearrange the eggs and settle down on the eggs pulling them in under them so might as well leave them alone

What happened before when the chicks hatch? Did each hen end up with some?

broody sitting on just ping pong balls... should I move her or leave her? and should I feed her or will she eat when she is ready?

What is you plan? Hatch some chicks or get her to stop being broody? I have a dog cage that I use to break up a broody hen. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I spread some of the metal bars apart so she can reach her food and water containers on the outside. It seems easier to break them up if I put them in there when they first start the broodiness.

What is you plan? Hatch some chicks or get her to stop being broody? I have a dog cage that I use to break up a broody hen. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I spread some of the metal bars apart so she can reach her food and water containers on the outside. It seems easier to break them up if I put them in there when they first start the broodiness.

Thank you for asking :) currently we don't have a rooster.. and no real plans for a hatching.. so I guess I just want to know that she won't just sit there and dehydrate or starve..

she's been there about a week.. and I guess she only sneaks out when my back is turned. My main concern was making sure she will be ok. there are no eggs under her.. so will she eventually give up? Should I take the ping pong balls out ? I can bring her food/water but will she take care of herself in that manner if I let her?

Thank you for asking :) currently we don't have a rooster.. and no real plans for a hatching..  so I guess I just want to know that she won't just sit there and dehydrate or starve..

she's been there about a week.. and I guess she only sneaks out when my back is turned.  My main concern was making sure she will be ok.  there are no eggs under her.. so will she eventually give up? Should I take the ping pong balls out ?  I can bring her food/water but will she take care of herself in that manner if I let her? 

You need to either pur her in a broody break cage or plan on getting either fertile eggs for her to hatch or newly hatched chicks as it is very bad on their health to sit on nothing for long periods of time.

Thank you for asking :) currently we don't have a rooster.. and no real plans for a hatching.. so I guess I just want to know that she won't just sit there and dehydrate or starve..

she's been there about a week.. and I guess she only sneaks out when my back is turned. My main concern was making sure she will be ok. there are no eggs under her.. so will she eventually give up? Should I take the ping pong balls out ? I can bring her food/water but will she take care of herself in that manner if I let her?

Seems pointless to me to continue to let her set there and staying broody. She could be laying eggs for you.

Back
Top Bottom