Broody hen under 8 duck eggs and 1 chicken (Advise Needed!)

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all,
I have a broody hen on 8 developing duck eggs and 1 developing chicken, I'm worried that the chick will hatch first and then Rebecca (the broody hen) will leave the rest or wait until the ducklings' hatch and then the chick dies of starvation. Advise?

God Bless

Just looked it up, duck eggs take about 28 days ... chickens 21 days ... So the chick will be a week old. The chick can go without food for about 3 days, they're still absorbing the yolk but Hen may give up on the duck eggs. I'd remove the chick, raise as a single hatch & let the Hen hatch out the ducklings? Or if you have an incubator, fire it up and put the duck eggs in it & let Mama raise the chick.

@Kiki @EggSighted4Life @Miss Lydia. Thank you in advance :hugs

First the chick is not going to die of starvation if you offer it chicken feed. The broodies do not actually pick up food and hand it to the chicks to eat.
Do you have an incubator?

Although the chick will not starve there is a good chance that the hen may move off the nest a couple days after the chick hatches.
I have had a hen hatch chicks a week apart (never did figure out why as they were marked when started) I kept food and water close and all went well. I have also had hens move off the nest after only about 24 hours from first hatch with last egg still alive unhatched.
The best chance of it working is to put food and water close after the chick hatches and hope for the best. Then if she gets up put the duck eggs in an incubator. If you don't have an incubator, pulling the chick out immediately after hatch should keep her sitting on the duck eggs. Never a guarantee with live animals.

Hello all,
I have a broody hen on 8 developing duck eggs and 1 developing chicken, I'm worried that the chick will hatch first and then Rebecca (the broody hen) will leave the rest or wait until the ducklings' hatch and then the chick dies of starvation. Advise?

God Bless
My chicks were hatched and the broody hen ignored the duck eggs, I dont know if yours will also do the same..:barnie:barnie:barnie

Back
Top Bottom