Broody hen

i know it's a Black Australorp hen and it's her first time to become broody so i'm a bit hesitant to switch the eggs...I've been through a lot of Broody hens before and this is the first time that none of the eggs are fertile and i don't want to waste the broody hens time or try to break her out of her broodiness...Thanks for your advise...
I would be hesitant too. 40 days is possible but certainly not healthy.

Are you sure the eggs didn’t start? I have a torch that shows blood vessels in white eggs, but not in light brown eggs.

So depending on the egg color, the shell thickness, and the quality of the torch I would decide to discard them or try to hatch these. In doubt I would let the hen sit for another 2 weeks (max).

If I wanted to start with new eggs, I would prefer starting later/ with another broody.

Brooding takes a toll on the hens body. Don't let her go on until she hatches. If the new eggs you give her turn out to be infertile as well, best thing you can do for her is break her, she's still young
Thanks... Will certainly think about all the advise that was given to me😊

I would be hesitant too. 40 days is possible but certainly not healthy.

Are you sure the eggs didn’t start? I have a torch that shows blood vessels in white eggs, but not in light brown eggs.

So depending on the egg color, the shell thickness, and the quality of the torch I would decide to discard them or try to hatch these. In doubt I would let the hen sit for another 2 weeks (max).

If I wanted to start with new eggs, I would prefer starting later/ with another broody.
I checked there are some that had a blood ring.. I removed those there possibilities but will check again if they have developed

I have a black Australorp, they are excellent mothers. I’ve tried to break mine in the past because she is serially broody and it never works. Last time I caved and got her eggs after a week… so technically she started brooding (from her POV) a week earlier then when the chicks hatched. So in your case I think it should be fine if you put new fertilised eggs under your hen. I second what another person said by doing candling with the right equipment so you can be absolutely sure.

I have a black Australorp, they are excellent mothers. I’ve tried to break mine in the past because she is serially broody and it never works. Last time I caved and got her eggs after a week… so technically she started brooding (from her POV) a week earlier then when the chicks hatched. So in your case I think it should be fine if you put new fertilised eggs under your hen. I second what another person said by doing candling with the right equipment so you can be absolutely sure.
Thank you so much... Definitely will do another candling before I make the decision to switch her eggs

I need help...I have a broody hen and it's been 10 days, did an initial candling of her eggs and it seems most of the eggs are empty...I have new fertilised eggs is it okay to switch the old eggs to the new ones at this stage of her broodiness?

Thanks for any help!!
UPDATE : I don't think I need to replace her eggs it seems there's some development on 7 of her eggs... Thanks for all the advise!!!

Back
Top Bottom