Broody hens playing tag off!

Papa Mel

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
North Georgia
I have two broody Patridge Wyandotte bantam hens who have been playing the game of tag. One sits on the nest most of the day then the other comes in and tags her and settles down for the remainder of the day. The last one that is tagged stays on the nest all night and into the morning. Her friend then goes to roost with the rooster for the night. This morning when I went in to feed them they were both on the nest. I was very surprised until they came out to eat. One broody was sitting on 3 eggs and a newly hatched chick. The other hen who is the number 1 boody was sitting on two newly hatched chicks and 8 unhatched eggs. Has anyone else had this type of tag team?????????????

Below is a picture of the number 1 broody hen who sat on the eggs for the first week before starting the tag off team game.
70794_37373_pictures_0161.jpg

I have a pair of cochin sisters who are doing that same thing right now, with one exception. For the most part, they both stay on their eggs, but when one gets out, the other takes over both eggs (they only have 2). They should be hatching in a day or so. Isn't it just the funniest thing?!

Back
Top Bottom