Broody hens wants the same nest.

lkazma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
I have two laying hens that are "broody" and no roosters but the problem is that they both want the same nesting box although there are two other nesting boxes. Both hens have decided to sit in the same nesting box together. This has been going on for a couple of days now and how long will this last. I have been taking the eggs from them daily and the one gets a little feisty and fluffs her feathers and growls the other day she even put her head around the eggs because she didn't want me to take them. How do I get them to use the other nests? How long does this activity last?

Are they fighting with each other? If not I would let them share. As far as how long will it last. That really depends on the bird. It can be a few days to several weeks. Good luck!

Actually at first the one complained a bit but since then no they are not fighting just sitting there together. They have been getting out to eat during the day because evidence of them eating food at least. I have thought of getting some fertilized eggs for them.

Back
Top Bottom