Broody hens

Sherry Abbot

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
I have 28 hens. For the first time ever I have two hens that have gone broody. A Buff Orpington that has been broody for about 2 weeks and now an Easter Egger has joined her. What can I do to discourage this behavior?

I have 28 hens. For the first time ever I have two hens that have gone broody. A Buff Orpington that has been broody for about 2 weeks and now an Easter Egger has joined her. What can I do to discourage this behavior?

You can place them in a pen without any nests and just roosts and if they try to use the bedding for brooding, remove that too if you can. If they still insist on sleeping on the floor, go out at night and place them on the roosts. Getting some cool air under them and taking away brooding opportunities should help. It depends on the bird how long you'll have to keep them penned but that's the most successful way, beyond giving them fertile eggs to hatch.

You can try several things.

1. Sometimes all it takes is getting the hen off the nest a few times - plop her down as far from the nest as you can, if you free range take her somewhere out of sight if possible. This sometimes can work if you catch it quick enough I have found.

2. Or you can use a wire dog crate as a broody busting box. It should be lifted off the ground on blocks, you want it uncomfortable to lay down. And in a bright spot (but not in direct sun in hot weather)

Usually it just takes me a few days with these methods. Some birds might become repeat offenders though. Those I will usually let sit on a nest and just go ahead and let them hatch!

Last edited:
I like aart's idea for breaking broodies in winter. In summer I use this pen with a 2x4 roost on grass with a tarp on top to keep out rain.

rugged_ranch_universal_welded_wire_pen_7_x_8_metalcoop.jpg

I like aart's idea for breaking broodies in winter. In summer I use this pen with a 2x4 roost on grass with a tarp on top to keep out rain.

rugged_ranch_universal_welded_wire_pen_7_x_8_metalcoop.jpg
Well, that's excessive....hahaha...play on your screen name.
Would love to have an enclosure like that!

Back
Top Bottom