Broody in favorite nest box- now none are laying

akaruby

Songster
Mar 28, 2015
Southern Tier, NY
My silkie has been broody for a week or so now and I have not gotten eggs from any of my chickens but one. My 5 chickens use the same nesting box, which is what my silkie is sitting in. Would this cause the others to stop laying?

I have looked in their covered run and in the coop all over and can't find eggs anywhere. I did add three 8 week olds last week to the group while they were free ranging and then integrated fully just 2 nights ago. The food is the same brand, but I accidentally bought pellets...not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway just trying to figure out what my girls are doing!

My first guess is that they had found a hidden spot to lay their eggs. The change in flock dynamics and the change in feed may have caused the decrease in egg production. Some birds seem to resist the change from mash to pellets and eat less. I doubt that the setting hen is the cause of the drop in production.

Have you checked under that broody? did you mark the eggs you want her to hatch? When I have a broody, the other hens go ahead and lay in that same box and she happily incorporates the eggs into her clutch. I have to check under her each night and remove the days additions.

I have heard that adding younger chicks changes the hormone balance and can make them stop laying but i dont know if that is true.

Back
Top Bottom