broody japanese quail hen

Wow, this is really neat. I would love to have a quail that went broody. What size cage do you have them in? How many are in there? I am just trying to see what conditions they might go broody in.

The cage is about 40cm by 80cm by 50cm high with wire netting base and a wooden nesting box in the back that you can see in the image where she is sitting. There were 5 females and 2 males in the cage when she went broody. I since removed the rest to give her peace sitting. Not particularly condusive for being broody i thought but...

I will try to find and load up a picture of the cage.

I assume you are from GB? I believe broody quail are more common over there, I think it's in the bloodlines. Though that doesn't stop us from trying!!
gig.gif

She is still sitting and the eggs are due to hatch today
wee.gif
but I think it will be longer than artificial incubator. I gave some eggs to a friends bantam chicken to sit on and the eggs took four days longer to hatch.

37153_dscn5437.jpg

Last edited:
The lastest update. I check the eggs today that is 5days overdue and they did not hatch. They looked like they might have died at early stages due to quail inexperience i guess and they have completely dried out and the shells are really waxy. 4 out of 11 had almost fully formed chicks that died.

I have got some few day ols chicks. I wonder if she would take to that??

Anyhow, I will try to get her off being broody and try again when she decides to brood again.

so keep watch for broody quail part 2
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom