Broody killed her chick

Pics

theuglyduckling

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
puerto rico
Today is day 19for my broodys chicks. When i went out today to fee d the chickens i checked on the broody and saw that a chick had started to hatch. I didnt get a close look at it but i wanted to leave the brood alone so i left and came back 20 minutes later and saw some blood on the broods mouth and then when i checked the chick i t was still partially in the shell but it seems the broody had pecked the chick to death. I dont know what to do i don't have an incubator and im not able to get one either. Do you guys think shell do this to the others once they start to hatch?

I just feel a little nervous that she might do it to the others. But maybe something could have been wrong sense it is only day 19 and they are buff orps along with the mom. It has started to rain yesterday on and off same for today so it is very humid out. I just wonder if this might be the problem?

Highly unlikely that a broody mom would kill her own chick. There may have been some problem with the chick and the mother investigated. Since you don't have an incubator your only option is to let the mother set on the eggs and see what happens.

Not that unlikely. My broody Serama is a great sitter and Hatcher. I started finding dead chicks in her enclosure abt a week after hatch. 2 one day, 2 the next. Walked in on 3rd day to her pecking ones back (it died shortly after I removed them), and another dead. Inspected remaining chicks and they all had wounds from her beak on their backs. Some are just not good mamas.
I've got them inside to cooperate and for treatment now. Antibiotics on their wounds, nutridrench in their water. Warmth and rest.

Not that unlikely. My broody Serama is a great sitter and Hatcher. I started finding dead chicks in her enclosure abt a week after hatch. 2 one day, 2 the next. Walked in on 3rd day to her pecking ones back (it died shortly after I removed them), and another dead. Inspected remaining chicks and they all had wounds from her beak on their backs. Some are just not good mamas.
I've got them inside to cooperate and for treatment now. Antibiotics on their wounds, nutridrench in their water. Warmth and rest.
Oh my. We have hatched about 1500 chicks with momma hens so probably about 150 times that we have set eggs under broody hens. We have had bad mommas that didn't cluck the food, were over protective, not protective enough. We have had ones that broke set and abandoned the eggs. We even had one that killed other hens chicks. But we have never ever had one that killed her own chicks.
Did a search on the topic and found this that might be of some help https://www.hobbyfarms.com/when-a-good-broody-hen-becomes-a-moody-mama/ I guess I would keep a good watch on her and if she attacks another chick remove them as soon as they hatch or even as they are hatching. I hope you don't have to do this because raising chicks with momma hens is so much fun. Being day 19 something likely wasn't right for the chick to hatch and it may have died on its own and she was just getting some nutrition from the dead chick. But if it turns out she is an evil mom I guess I would put the piping eggs under a heat lamp or heating pad. Use a thermometer to get the temp as close to incubator temps as possible Never used an incubator myself but one web site gives these temps. I
  • Optimum temperature: 100.5o Fahrenheit
  • Temperature range: 99-102o Fahrenheit
    • Don’t let temperature drop below 99o Fahrenheit
    • Do not allow temps of 102o Fahrenheit to last more than a few hours

Oh my. We have hatched about 1500 chicks with momma hens so probably about 150 times that we have set eggs under broody hens. We have had bad mommas that didn't cluck the food, were over protective, not protective enough. We have had ones that broke set and abandoned the eggs. We even had one that killed other hens chicks. But we have never ever had one that killed her own chicks.
Did a search on the topic and found this that might be of some help https://www.hobbyfarms.com/when-a-good-broody-hen-becomes-a-moody-mama/ I guess I would keep a good watch on her and if she attacks another chick remove them as soon as they hatch or even as they are hatching. I hope you don't have to do this because raising chicks with momma hens is so much fun. Being day 19 something likely wasn't right for the chick to hatch and it may have died on its own and she was just getting some nutrition from the dead chick. But if it turns out she is an evil mom I guess I would put the piping eggs under a heat lamp or heating pad. Use a thermometer to get the temp as close to incubator temps as possible Never used an incubator myself but one web site gives these temps. I
  • Optimum temperature: 100.5o Fahrenheit
  • Temperature range: 99-102o Fahrenheit
    • Don’t let temperature drop below 99o Fahrenheit
    • Do not allow temps of 102o Fahrenheit to last more than a few hours

Yeah I wanted so badly for her to raise them. Didnt even think abt her being the problem until I saw her doing it. :(

I would periodically check in on them to see if any chicks are hatched, if so I will scoop them out and raise them without abusive momma hen. Maybe when they are a week old or so I would introduce them back to momma and see if she's changed her ways.

Back
Top Bottom